Default Introductory Books to the U.S. Legal System

Good day,

I am a law practitioner in Romania, and I would very much enjoy to start reading about the U.S. Legal System.

I thought that a good place to start would be a book on the general theory of law, so that I could understand the principles, the judicial system, important institutions in private and public law.

My area of practice is Civil Law, so if you could recommend a (university) book on the general theory of civil law, I would be very grateful.

I'm not familiar with how courses are structured in the U.S., so, for example, a general theory of civil law course at Romanian Universities contains information such as principles, source of law, a short introduction to the judicial system, definitions of general concepts such as civil rights and obligations, and a short trip throughout all civil institutions - persons, obligations, contracts, successions.

Of course, introduction in criminal law books are welcome.

I am open for any suggestions. If the authors are well-known, the better.

Thank you!

Best wishes,
    Andrew

Default Re: Introductory Books to the U.S. Legal System

Well, you found us by running an internet search.

Now run a search for "books about the US legal system."

You'll find hundreds, maybe thousands. Many you'll have to buy, many you can read online for free.

Quote Quoting RedGoldBlue
    View Post
    Good day,

I am a law practitioner in Romania, and I would very much enjoy to start reading about the U.S. Legal System.

I thought that a good place to start would be a book on the general theory of law, so that I could understand the principles, the judicial system, important institutions in private and public law.

My area of practice is Civil Law, so if you could recommend a (university) book on the general theory of civil law, I would be very grateful.

I'm not familiar with how courses are structured in the U.S., so, for example, a general theory of civil law course at Romanian Universities contains information such as principles, source of law, a short introduction to the judicial system, definitions of general concepts such as civil rights and obligations, and a short trip throughout all civil institutions - persons, obligations, contracts, successions.

Of course, introduction in criminal law books are welcome.

I am open for any suggestions. If the authors are well-known, the better.

Thank you!

Best wishes,
    Andrew
    I agree with the other response that you received, however I will give you a little bit of information that may help you in your research. Our laws vary from US state to US state. The majority of our state's laws are based on English Common Law. The remainder are based on the Napoleonic Code. So, to get a general idea of the structure of US law, you would have to become familiar with those two doctrines.

Federal law is limited to those areas of law as outlined in the US Constitution, which are quite narrow. You would want to review the US Constitution to see what areas of law are reserved for the federal government. In addition, the federal government can, and often does enact recommended legislation that they ask the states to formally adopt. Most states will general adopt that legislation/recommended law, but sometimes states refuse to do so, or do so to start off with, but eventually get rid of the law.

Quote Quoting llworking
    View Post
    The majority of our state's laws are based on English Common Law. The remainder are based on the Napoleonic Code.
    The remainder here being the State of Louisiana.

Depending upon your English language skills and the type of knowlege you are seeking, you could be looking for anything from an undergraduate political science textbook on the American political and legal systems, to hornbooks that summarize areas of law, to practitioner's guides.

A relatively cheap way to get started would be to get some commercial law school student outlines for subjects like Civil Procedure and Constitutional Law.

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    The remainder here being the State of Louisiana.

Depending upon your English language skills and the type of knowlege you are seeking, you could be looking for anything from an undergraduate political science textbook on the American political and legal systems, to hornbooks that summarize areas of law, to practitioner's guides.

A relatively cheap way to get started would be to get some commercial law school student outlines for subjects like Civil Procedure and Constitutional Law.
    I said "the remainder" because I just couldn't remember if any other state, other than Louisiana was based on the Napoleonic Code, and I did not want to take the time to look it up...LOL.

1. Sponsored Links