Question Would This Be Good For Emancipation

Michigan
    Ok, I'm not even sure if I want to be emancipated. I just wanted some opinions. I don't live in a physically abusive situation. I am not pregnant. I have never been convicted or arrested for any crimes. I intend on going to college but will have to pay for all aspects of that myself. I will get a place to live once I am in college but will pay for that also. I have a job, I make $18 an hour teaching piano lessons. I have already worked out the financial situation, including rent and food ect in a few different excel documents, and I would be able to support myself. I'm getting a car this summer. I have included insurance in my financial documents. Would I be able to become emancipated, On these facts alone? also would there be a big difference if my parents were opposed or unopposed? tell me about both situations. Also, I just turned 16 in February of 2007, I have my drivers license. I would not be moving out or becoming emancipated until I was either 17 or about to turn 17 such as a month away or something. Thank you,
    Jessica

panther10758 Guest

Default Re: would this be good for emancipation

This link http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(fd4...Name=mcl-722-4 should tell you what you need to know about emancipation

Default Re: Would This Be Good For Emancipation

It sounds like you have a good life, why wouldyou want to be emancipated? Why pay for housing and insurance now, when you are covered by your parents. Why not save your money you are earning now, then when you go to college and really get out on your own you will have a nice little nest egg set aside. Believe me being out on your own is not always as easy as it seems. What if your car breaks, down? Ltet's say it's the transmission. Thats about $1500 right there. Four years ago I was living in a 6 bedroom, 3 bath, 3,000 sq ft home with my husband and four children. I had a mortgage payment of $1,548 plus taxes and insurance, not to mention all other everymonth charges. I was bringing home $3,800-$4,000 monthly ($22 hr plus bonuses). This was net, not gross. My husband netted about $1,450 monthly. Then one day out of the blue I woke up and couldn't walk or function. Needless to say I had to go on disability and It took 2 1/2 yrs b4 soc sec disability kicked in. For those 2 1/2 years we lived on my husbands $1,400 salary. We eventually lost our dream home we had built from the ground up only 4 years earlier. We almost lost our new van of two years, but by the grace of God I had taken out disability insurance when I purchased it, so the insurance paid it off. But then within a 1 1/2 our transmission went out twice. That cost us $1,600 the 1st time, and $1,800 the second. Money we didn't have, so it sat and we made arrangements to have someone drive everyone where they needed to go. So honey, really think about this. I couldn't go back home. My dad had died 4 yrs earlier.

Default Re: Would This Be Good For Emancipation

It's not that I am just a brat with a good life who wants to leave because I think I can.
    It's that I hate to complain and I could go on for about five pages about my troubles but wouldn't be able to look myself in the mirror after being going on and on complaining like that. I do understand, I've been thinking about this for along time, I know how amazingly easy it is just because I have a roof over my head. But my parents threaten to take that roof away almost every month. I'm living my life trying to keep my house as peaceful as I can by trying to satisfy them as much as possible. I try not to start fights with my dad, which is difficult because I could say simply that I don't like a certain food and he would get angry, or I could tell my sister that something was funny and a huge fight would be started because my father overheard. I try to keep my mom as happy as possible without ruiining my reletive peace, she has always wanted me to be her friend, her therapist, and her shoulder to cry on, and that hurts me because she tells me things I shouldn't know and they mess me up somewhat, I try to listen a little and sometimes tell her I can't but that always makes her mad. I try to be as nice as I can to her without hurting her feelings and in turn making her punish me becuase I must be a bad child for not wanting to listen to her maritual issues. They both are very scared people, you wouldn't know it by talking to them but they have fears, usually unneccasary fears about situations I am in, and they take out their fear on me, even about everyday situations. I am not even allowed to drive alone, this is because they don't trust me. I must take one of my siblings with me everywhere, or else I am attempting to do something terribly evil. What I've told you doesn't even touch the serface of my life right now, but you seemed confused so I told you a little. I hope I didn't say too much.
    Thank you though for being conserned about my future at least enough to comment.

Jessica - Michigan

1. Sponsored Links