Default How to End a Driver's License Suspension if You Can't Pay an Accident Judgment

My question involves collection proceedings in the State of: Ohio
    My license was taken in 2004 and a judgment was put in against me of 10,000 dollars. I have no driving infractions on record in all this time. The judgment was put on my credit report and has now dropped off. I still don't have the money to pay, but I need a car and license to get back and forth so I can work. Can someone please help me with a way I can either get my license back with out paying or how do I just get them back?

Default Re: How to End a Driver's License Suspension if You Can't Pay an Accident Judgment

It seems reasonable to infer that this suspension occurred based upon Ohio's financial responsibility law, and your failure to insure your vehicle as required by law. Assuming that the judgment creditor is not willing to give you written permission to reinstate your license, your option is to petition for installment payments.
    Quote Quoting O.R.C., Sec. 4509.42. Payment of judgment in installments.
    (A) A judgment debtor upon due notice to the judgment creditor may apply to the court in which the judgment was rendered for the privilege of paying the judgment in installments and the court, in its discretion and without prejudice to any other legal remedies which the judgment creditor has, may order and fix the amounts and times of payment of the installments.

(B) The registrar of motor vehicles shall not suspend for nonpayment of a judgment, a license, registration, or nonresident's operating privilege, and shall restore the license, registration, or nonresident's operating privilege suspended for nonpayment, when the judgment debtor gives proof of financial responsibility and maintains it in accordance with section 4509.45 of the Revised Code, and obtains an order permitting the payment of the judgment in installments, and while the payment of any installment is not in default.

(C) If the judgment debtor fails to pay any installment as specified by such order, then upon notice of default the registrar shall impose a class F suspension of the license, registration, or nonresident's operating privilege of the judgment debtor until such judgment is satisfied as specified in division (B)(6) of section 4510.02 of the Revised Code.

1. Sponsored Links