Default Termination of the Rental of a Parking Space

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: New York

I live in a condo in Brooklyn, NY. Another condo owner on the floor above me is renting their parking space to me and I pay on a monthly basis. We did not have a contract in place. The owner asked me at 9:25pm to find alternative parking starting tomorrow. She has promised the parking space to her tenants. Could she ask for the parking space back without advance notice? I already paid for the month of July.

Thank you.

Default Re: Vacating Parking Space Without Advance Notice

You paid for July, your contract is for July, she's stuck with you for the rest of the month.

Then you find another place to park.

Next time you rent somebody's space, get a written contract that specifies a termination notice period.

Otherwise, no, she's not required to give you any notice at all because your arrangement is presumed to be over without notice at the end of the current payment period.

This is not like renting living quarters, there is no statutory requirements here.

You rent for the month, you leave at the end of the month unless she accepts payment for the following month.

Default Re: Vacating Parking Space Without Advance Notice

Quote Quoting adjusterjack
    View Post
    You paid for July, your contract is for July, she's stuck with you for the rest of the month.
    Well, yeah... but if it becomes a race to be the first to park in the spot, it could be a rough month.

Ideally, the condo owner who is renting the spot will see reason, and be willing to give proper notice or negotiate a mutually acceptable termination date; but in the absence of such an agreement there's no good solution -- even if it is worth taking the issue to court, given parking prices in NYC, it's going to be well past the end of July before any court date can be scheduled.

1. Sponsored Links