Default Can I Become a Police Officer with a Dismissed and Expunged Felony and Misdemeanor

My question involves labor and employment law for the state of: Florida

Greetings,

I would like to know what my chances are of becoming a police officer with a dismissed and expunged felony and misdemeanor. My felony consists of a fraud charge to the 3rd degree and my misdemeanor consists of petite theft under $300. I am going through pre-trial intervention in order to be able to have my cases dismissed in exchange for admittance of guilty. Afterwards, I am planning on having my charges expunged.

Default Re: Can I Become a Police Officer with a Dismissed and Expunged Felony and Misdemeano

That's up to the agency. Obviously, a criminal history is going to be detrimental to your desire to become a police officer, and puts you at a disadvantage as compared to applicants with clean criminal histories.

Default Re: Can I Become a Police Officer with a Dismissed and Expunged Felony and Misdemeano

In evaluating a law enforcement applicant's personal history, dismissal, expungement, acquittal, etc., have little relevance. Instead, what counts is the applicant's actual conduct surrounding the event in question. If you didn't do it, you have nothing to worry about. But if your actions during that event met the criteria for disqualification, you will not be hired.

Quote Quoting L-1
    View Post
    In evaluating a law enforcement applicant's personal history, dismissal, expungement, acquittal, etc., have little relevance. Instead, what counts is the applicant's actual conduct surrounding the event in question. If you didn't do it, you have nothing to worry about. But if your actions during that event met the criteria for disqualification, you will not be hired.
    I disagree. There's a reason expunged convictions are still accessible to law enforcement. The poster has two crimes of moral turpitude--theft and fraud. Those are highly relevant to his character. Many departments won't even hire someone with bad credit. Someone who has committed fraud and has a prior felony, expunged or not, is even less likely to be hired in my opinion.

Quote Quoting LegalWriter
    View Post
    I disagree. There's a reason expunged convictions are still accessible to law enforcement. The poster has two crimes of moral turpitude--theft and fraud. Those are highly relevant to his character. Many departments won't even hire someone with bad credit. Someone who has committed fraud and has a prior felony, expunged or not, is even less likely to be hired in my opinion.
    I think you may have misunderstood what L-1 was saying. He stated the fact they were dismissed, expunged or acquitted has little relevance. That what counts is what the applicant actually did.

1. Sponsored Links