Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Speeding Ticket, Paced by a Patrol Vehicle Ahead of the Speeding Car

My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: Florida (Hillsborough)

First and foremost, appreciate any help you guys can provide. I know everyone has busy lives and your time is valuable.

I was pulled over by a cop in front of me and he used pacing as his measurement.
    I knew it was a cop and I was to his left for most of the time going the speed limit and then he guns it- like 90. I thought wow must be nice.
    Further down the road I see the cop again as I'm getting to the far right lane to get off the exit and I notice he's pulling someone over. I try to go around and he dangerously swerves and signals for me to get over as well.
    His thoughts were I was one of those people thinking they could go as fast as a cop and that is truly not what I was doing.
    I increased my speed to change lanes to the right so as not to cut off the guy in the exit lane.
    From the time he gunned it to the time he was slowing down pulling someone over, we were no closer than 500ft apart. This is a 3 mile distance.
    And he just so happens to "clock" me st 80, 15mph over. It all reeks of bullshit. This cop is in charge of the Marine unit so I do question his abilities as a traffic cop. I ordered a video camera for my car when I got home...

Appreciate any help in putting together a case without sounding like an idiot to the judge. I would normally pay a traffic lawyer but I don't think they would give it much attention as I think this is an absurd case.

Default Re: Speeding Ticket Via Forward Pacing

Not sure what FL is like these days, but the phone book used to be filled with attorneys who will plead it down to a non-moving violation for a few$$. They collect the same fine, you dont get points. I had a lot of business in FL a few years ago, was not uncommon for me and colleagues to need services.

Yes, I know there is a principle here....just saying.

No I hear ya. I work by a couple and used them in the past. I'll consider it.

I plan on talking to a traffic lawyer, but the more I think about it, the less inclined I'm to use one for the fact that I don't think they personalize a defense for each ticket. I think the ticket is pretty defensible given the circumstances of the ticket if the details are mentioned to the judge.
    Not sure If it matters, but the cop didn't state why he was pulling me over initially. He made a second trip back just to state that...since I was recording and all.

With that said, what I think I want is to file a motion for dismissal. Do I do that before the initial court appearance or before?

What principle? He just admitted that he 'increased' his speed to beyond the limit.

Default Re: Speeding Ticket, Paced by a Patrol Vehicle Ahead of the Speeding Car

Quote Quoting jedilord
    View Post
    This cop is in charge of the Marine unit so I do question his abilities as a traffic cop.
    Obviously you have no clue about police training.

You are not making much of an argument. And no, failure to tell you why you were stopped is not relevant to anything.

Good luck in court.

Default Re: Speeding Ticket, Paced by a Patrol Vehicle Ahead of the Speeding Car

Quote Quoting jedilord
    View Post

I increased my speed to change lanes to the right so as not to cut off the guy in the exit lane.
    That's it right there. You got caught.

Next time slow down to change lanes and get behind the other car instead of in front of it.

I don't see you beating this ticket.

Quote Quoting farazs
    View Post
    What principle? He just admitted that he 'increased' his speed to beyond the limit.
    Quote Quoting adjusterjack
    View Post
    That's it right there. You got caught.

Next time slow down to change lanes and get behind the other car instead of in front of it.

I don't see you beating this ticket.

OP said he "increased his speed"

OP did not say "past the limit"

What section of the FL code says it is illegal to "increase your speed"?

These threads always turn into a 'finding of guilt' by many posters, as opposed to legal advice.

Quote Quoting adam_
    View Post
    OP said he "increased his speed"

OP did not say "past the limit"

What section of the FL code says it is illegal to "increase your speed"?

These threads always turn into a 'finding of guilt' by many posters, as opposed to legal advice.
    Right? Not sure I ever admitted to speeding at all. If anything I'm fighting to prove I didn't speed. I found the ticket of the other guy pulled over in front of us and he was cited 74 in a 65. My strongest defense currently will be how one can pace a car at 74 whilst pacing me hundreds of feet behind from the rear view at 80. Not sure I need to say more.
    Looking for legal advice. thank you.

You don't know how he measured the speed of the other car. Maybe it was just an independent estimation.

Welp. You need to understand that 99.999% of the time if the officer can verbalize ANYTHING that the judge CAN believe, he WILL believe it.

Unless you can prove you were not speeding or prove the officer's statement is a lie or impossible, you will not get off.

You have no idea what he will say. His version may not even include another car. Dont think there is one set of facts. Again the judge will take what the officer says as gods truth, you are automatically a liar.

Oh, in my state a 'visual' is fine for a ticket. No radar, no pacing, no nothing- just see you and determines your speed. He does NOT "need" to pace ...These guys are trained, and infallible... doncha know?

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast