Default When Can You Ask for a Different Public Defender

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Utah

I recently wrote a letter to my judge asking for new council, due to the numerous calls I've made and only one call back the day before court. I had previously spoke with council before having to take a court appointed attorney, and had been informed that my civil rights were violated and that i had a strong case. Being disabled i just do not have the funding for private council. and instead of asking me anything or going over my paper work, my PD wants me to take a deal. (PD has assumed i'm being charged due to previous charges years ago that have been dismissed) I've received a text message my last court date of the DA's "global offer" which is only on the table for a short time or unless the Federal Law picks it up.
    1- am i doing the right thing by asking for another?
    2- my Passenger was charged also, his paper work says a lesser charge then the court documents, which ones are correct?
    3- He also cannot afford an attorney. but has a house and other things that he cant sell due to the economy, can he get a court appointed attorney?
    He also has way to much to lose, should i submit my statement that what he had in his possession was mine, and would it cover and get him off?

Default Re: When Can You Ask for a Different Public Defender

1. How would we know? We don't know the attorney or anything about your case. Additionally, there's no guarantee the court would give you a different attorney. Public defenders are very busy and don't have time to hand-hold.
    2. The documents filed with the court--the criminal complaint are what he is charged with.
    3. Further incriminating yourself will not do your friend any good. The prosecutor doesn't have to and won't take your word for it.

1. Sponsored Links