Default Is a Used Car Seller Liable if a Car Won't Pass Inspection in a Different State

My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: Missouri & Illinois

I am from Illinois which is where this car was titled and registered at. I sold the car via Craiglist to a gentleman who lives in Missouri. He is telling me the car has all sorts of issues and won't pass Missouri inspection, Wants his money back. I am NOT a dealer, Just a private individual selling a used car. I had not had the car but a few months so I personally was not aware of any issues. I stated this very clearly in the Craiglist ad, I am not a mechanic and was not the original owner of the vehicle and was basically just selling it. I described the car the best to my knowledge and ability and the car was being sold as is with no warranty. The individual setup a time to come look at the car, Nothing was off limits to him. He looked at the vehicle, Test drove the vehicle and decided to purchase the car via cash. We signed the title and off he went in the car. He could of paid a local mechanic to look at it, Or even brought his own I wouldn't of cared. I guess my question is am I under any legal obligation to take the car back or pay for any repairs related to pass inspection in his state?

Default Re: Sold Used Car Out of State, Won't Pass His States Inspection Wants to Return

Did you make any claims regarding the condition of the vehicle? You say you weren't personally aware of any issues so the person you bought it from never mentioned any issues that you did not indicate in your ad? Do you have the ad saved indicating what was said?

He is on his own unless you made claims that might have misled him. He had the opportunity to inspect it to ensure it would pass his state's inspection and did not do so.

Default Re: Sold Used Car Out of State, Won't Pass His States Inspection Wants to Return

Quote Quoting free9man
    View Post
    Did you make any claims regarding the condition of the vehicle? You say you weren't personally aware of any issues so the person you bought it from never mentioned any issues that you did not indicate in your ad? Do you have the ad saved indicating what was said?

He is on his own unless you made claims that might have misled him. He had the opportunity to inspect it to ensure it would pass his state's inspection and did not do so.
    I was never told of any issues of the vehicle. The information I posted was general information from my opinion in regards to the condition of the vehicle, ie. exterior, interior. I stated that the engine seemed to run ok and so did the transmission on the mechanical side. Stated the AC and tire pressure sensors where not working as that was the only thing I was aware of not functional on the vehicle.

Quote Quoting jaweiss
    View Post
    I was never told of any issues of the vehicle. The information I posted was general information from my opinion in regards to the condition of the vehicle, ie. exterior, interior. I stated that the engine seemed to run ok and so did the transmission on the mechanical side. Stated the AC and tire pressure sensors where not working as that was the only thing I was aware of not functional on the vehicle.
    Casual sales of vehicles are as is, buyer beware.

If it was me I would tell him "You inspected it, you bought it, you own it, goodbye."

Then stop talking to him.

Quote Quoting jaweiss
    View Post
    am from Illinois which is where this car was titled and registered at.
    Quote Quoting jaweiss
    View Post
    I was never told of any issues of the vehicle. The information I posted was general information from my opinion in regards to the condition of the vehicle, ie. exterior, interior.
    You make it sound as if you were flipping a vehicle that you never in fact titled into your own name. Was the vehicle in fact titled to you at the time of the sale?

1. Sponsored Links