Default Paid Contractor, No Work Done, Equipment Left Behind

Please help.
    I live in louisiana and recently hired a guy to do some concrete work. I was given a written estimate which he required half down. The work included spreading 2 load of mud, removal of old fence, and concrete work for patio and walk way. I paid them 2,000.00 by check and the only work that was done was that thal the fence was removed, mud was spread which is 400 of the job. It has been 8 weeks since and I cant get them to return my call or do any additional work.

Now my question they left a bobcat in my yard and I want to know what is my legal rights. I am hiring a new concrete man to complete the job.

Thanks
    Ralph

Default Re: Paid Contractor, No Work Done, Equipment left behind

I would notify the Sheriff about the bobcat. It may belong to someone else or have been rented. Be sure to take pictures and get an estimate from your new contractor. I assume that you did not have a written contract about the scope of work so it is your word against his. You need to consult a local attorney.

Thanks. I have a copy of the estimate from them. Also I plan on filling with Our local contractor fraud system. Our city recently devopled this because of the devisation from Hurricane Katrina and several company are working without license.
    I also checked and he does not have a license and will be subject to fine,

Any other suggestion on Bobcat..............

"get an estimate from your new contractor. I assume that you did not have a written contract about the scope of work so it is your word against his."
    Please advise what I need a new estimate for, Also I have a proposal / estimate with a copy of the check to original contractor.
    Ralph

This is just an idea:

Take the case to small claims seeking the appropriate damages and once you get the judgment you could potentially sale Bobcat to recoup your damages. I am not sure about the bobcat though. Dose the equipment have any stickers, phone numbers or anything on it? Is there anything on it that might help identify were it came from?

You may still be able to sale it to recoup damages and the responsibility of it being a rental or etcetera may still lie on the contractors shoulders. I am not sure though.

You should consult an attorney concerning the Bobcat before you do something with it!!!!!!!

Default Re: Paid Contractor, No Work Done, Equipment Left Behind

I agree with who-what - I would sue in small claims court for the return of your money. Also, I would report the leaving of the bobcat to the local police/sheriff.

1. Sponsored Links