Default Can Your Employer Assign You to Work for a Non-Profit While on Light Duty

My question involves workers compensation law for the state of: MO

I've been on work comp for about 5 weeks now. For the first 4 i was doing light duty, then my employer ran out of light duty and i have been sent to a non-profit organization to
    work. I've been working 40 hours a week at the non-profit and i am wondering if it is common to be sent to a non profit while going through workers comp? Also my check says temporary total disability although i've been working (within restrictions) full time. Another question i have is how to calculate mileage to my physical therapy and dr appointments and what i'm entitled to claim as mileage.

Default Re: Working for Non-Profit While Injured

WC has nothing to do with whether your employer is profit or non-profit.

What counts is that you are working full time and you need to report that to your WC claim rep.

Otherwise, you might end up having to pay back benefits that might have been wrongfully paid to you and, trust me, you don't want an insurance company coming after you like that.

As for your mileage, you should be talking to your claim rep about that, too.

Default Re: Working for Non-Profit While Injured

it may be common with some employers.
    mileage rates changes yearly:
    after 7/1/17 mileage is paid at $.505/mi for misouri comp claims. you can use any online mapping program to give you the mileage between destinations. you can't work and accept disability payments for not working for the same periods; you are going to have to pay it back.

Default Re: Can Your Employer Assign You to Work for a Non-Profit While on Light Duty

Okay I'll speak with the rep about mileage and the check. I'm not being paid by the non profit organization only by the insurance.

Default Re: Can Your Employer Assign You to Work for a Non-Profit While on Light Duty

But are you being paid by the employer to work at the non-profit?

your post did not mention anything about 40 hrs for no wages. most workers wouldn't take that job; why did you?

so the non-profit is getting free labor on the carrier's $$? what a great deal. who owns/runs/manages the "non-profit"? I bet there are some $$ changing hands somewhere. someones getting "expenses" reimbursed or a "consulting" fee or rent payments. non-profit doesn't mean there are not payments happening. I'll bet the money trail ends up with the employer.
    if you didn't volunteer, then its not a legitimate non-profit operation.
    sounds like the old prisoner labor scam of the 20s where the warden got a kickback for the "free" labor. they are trying to keep something off the books.

Quote Quoting PayrolGuy
    View Post
    But are you being paid by the employer to work at the non-profit?
    I have the same question -- who is the check coming from? The employer or the insurance company. It is very common that employers want employees back on light duty paying wages through the employer rather than increasing the total cost of the claim with WC wages. Because WC wages affect not only the single employee but the overall employer insurance rating. Many times if the employer has no work that meets modifications, they will assign the employee out to do work at a non-profit at no cost to the non-profit. As long as those duties can be done under the modifications that the doctor has given, the employee should not refuse. If they are outside those mods, the employee should go back to the doctor and employer and let them know. But in the end if the employer is paying, it is up to the employer to tell you what your duties are.

If you're working for your employer on light duty, you're being paid for that duty by your employer and not by your insurance.

If your employer assigns you to work for a charity, they are still on the hook to pay you for the time that they require you to work. They cannot require you to work without pay, nor can they pretend that your workers comp benefit is compensation for wages that they should be paying.

1. Sponsored Links