Default Can a Mother File a Paternity Case if a Prior Case Was Dismissed

My question involves paternity law for the State of: Texas

I received a court order to appear for DNA testing in a paternity suit filed against me in 2004 for a child born in 2003.

I appeared and provided the sample. I have notarized paperwork from the court to support this action.

The mother never showed with her child to have samples drawn. I was subsequently contacted by the office of the Attorney General in Texas with this information; they told me that the case was closed, and she could never file another suit against me.

This week in 2017 I received a summons to appear for a "Child Support Review Negotiation Conference" two weeks from now in regard to the same child, and I received a separate document notifying me that the case has been moved to a new child support office within the state. I live well over a thousand miles away and am a stay at home dad to many young children.

Can this case truly be re-opened? What do I need to do? Do I need an attorney in TX, or can I hire an attorney in the state where I now reside? Thank you for your advice.

Default Re: Paternity Suit Filed by Mother in 2004 but She Did Not Appear; 2017 I Receive Sum

As long as the child in question is a minor, the case can be pursued. It would be smarter to have counsel that is local to the courthouse where the case will be heard. You need an attorney who is licensed in TX...

Default Re: Paternity Suit Filed by Mother in 2004 but She Did Not Appear; 2017 I Receive Sum

Thank you. Will an attorney be allowed to appear on my behalf if travel is a hardship?

Quote Quoting Mel541
    View Post
    Thank you. Will an attorney be allowed to appear on my behalf if travel is a hardship?
    Yes, although the first thing that you should have the attorney do is ask for another paternity test.

1. Sponsored Links