Results 1 to 2 of 2
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2007

    Default 14 1/2 yr old in Colorado

    My brother (M.) is 14 1/2 years old. He and a brother (J.) and sister (K.) were adopted by my father and stepmom 11+ years ago. My husband and I knew that there was some mental abuse going on, but did not know the full extent till this week. His brother, J. is 18 and kicked out, and his stister K. is in college out of state. M. goes to a private school out of state. M. was home for springbreak when trouble hit the fan once more. He called me for help. This week we have been to child services, filled a report, talked with counslers, therapist, etc. They have told us that there is nothing they can do. The abuse prior has no physical marks, and there is minimal documentation. I can tell you that after what I heard, it was hard to stomach. Both from the kids stories to the child services not being able to help. M. has stated repeatedly that he will not go back and if they make him he will run away till they get the idea. There are two families wanting to care for him, my household and my bio-logical brothers household. Can M. try for emancipation when he turns 15? Or do you have another idea. My dad will not give up parental rights without a fight.


  2. #2
    panther10758 Guest

    Default Re: 14 1/2 yr old in Colorado

    Here is a post from a similar thread:

    Colorado does not appear to have a statutorily defined procedure for emancipation. It recognizes emancipation in its statutes:

    Quoting Colorado Code 19-1-103. Definitions

    (45) "Emancipated juvenile", as used in section 19-2-511, means a juvenile over fifteen years of age and under eighteen years of age who has, with the real or apparent assent of the juvenile's parents, demonstrated independence from the juvenile's parents in matters of care, custody, and earnings. The term may include, but shall not be limited to, any such juvenile who has the sole responsibility for the juvenile's own support, who is married, or who is in the military.

    In order to qualify as emancipated under that statute, at a minimum you would have to be at least fifteen years old and living independently of your parents.

    In meantime tell the kids to return to the home. Running away will decrease any chances of emancipation. Continue to work with CPS and you and the children need document everythng and anything

    1. Sponsored Links

Similar Threads

  1. Speeding Tickets: Colorado 52 in 40
    By hoopsowu34 in forum Moving Violations, Parking and Traffic Tickets
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-27-2010, 10:50 AM
  2. Careless Driving: Careless Driving Colorado Springs, Colorado
    By CJ28 in forum Moving Violations, Parking and Traffic Tickets
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-15-2010, 10:31 AM
  3. Establishing an Order: Where to File a Custody Case if the Parents Live in Different States
    By underhand in forum Child Custody, Support and Visitation
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-15-2009, 12:15 PM
  4. DUI in Colorado
    By mjsjtj7 in forum Drunk and Impaired Driving Charges
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-20-2007, 07:03 AM
  5. DUI in Colorado
    By loveless151 in forum Drunk and Impaired Driving Charges
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-02-2006, 09:04 PM
Sponsored Links

Legal Help, Information and Resources