Default Can You Register a Car Title That is in the Previous Sellers Name, Not Current Seller

My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: OR and UT

My situation. Current seller bought the car in February 2017. The guy who sold it to him signed the title in November 2016. The current seller never signed the title as the buyer and never registered the car. Current title is in Wisconsin. The current transaction would be taking place in Utah and I (the buyer) want to transport the car to Oregon and register it there.

Would I have a problem registering the car and getting a new Oregon title if the Bill of Sale has the new sellers name and the Title has the old sellers name (dated in November '16)??

Default Re: Will I Be Able to Register My Car Title is Previous Sellers Name, Not Current Sel

To title and register the vehicle in Oregon, you will need a fully executed title from an out-of-state DMV naming you as the buyer. Since you don't have that and are not likely to get that, you are not going to be able to get title in Oregon.

What your seller is doing is title jumping or title skipping. That is illegal. He actually has no legal right to sell you the vehicle. He doesn't own it because he never got title in his name. The bill of sale is meaningless without a valid title to transfer the vehicle to you.

If you haven't yet gone through with the sale, don't do it. Either tell the seller to get title in his name and sign it over to you as buyer or walk away from the deal.

The title you have or will have indicates that the vehicle was sold to someone but not filled in on the title. If you were to put you name on the title as buyer, it now says that someone you never met or transacted with sold you the car. The bill of sale that your seller would give you doesn't match who the seller on the title is. If he were to forge the name on the bill of sale to that on the title it would be a fraud (a criminal offence) and you would be party to it. See the problem? There has to be a clear chain of title.

Default Re: Will I Be Able to Register My Car Title is Previous Sellers Name, Not Current Sel

Thank you very much for the reply. That's exactly what I was thinking.

1. Sponsored Links