Question How Long After a Violation Can You be Sent a Red Light Camera Ticket

My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: California

Two and a half years ago (Oct 2014) I was driving and didn't come to a complete stop on a red light before turning right. Yesterday I received a camera ticket in the mail dated 5/29/2017 indicating a violated CVC 21453(a). It says I must respond by the third week of July 2017.

Is this ticket valid even through this event occurred 2.5 years ago?

Default Re: How Long After a Violation Can You be Sent a Red Light Camera Ticket

You received this ticket from whom? From a court, or from a private company? What is the date that the ticket was issued?

Why didn't you receive a copy of the ticket back when the offense occurred? For example, did you move and not update the address on your vehicle's registration?

Default Re: How Long After a Violation Can You be Sent a Red Light Camera Ticket

Excellent questions Mr. Know It All!

Received from Redflex Traffic Systems in Glendale, Arizona
    Certificate of mailing signed 5/24/17
    Violation date and pictures from 10/4/14
    Court response required by 10/25/17

Never received anything directly from the court. A relative told me that he mistakenly received this mailing from Redflex, but I didn't get this until a week ago for the first time.

So is this ticket valid? Do I have a chance of getting it dismissed because of the 2.5 year? Should I hire "TicketBusters" or other attorney for $200 to go to court? The fine is a little over $500.

Is there a court date on the citation? You say "court response," but no mention of a court date. Was it signed by a police officer?

A citation should come from the police department, not Redflex. And the time to file with the court is one year, not two and a half. Unless you fled the jurisdiction, or they can apply some other good cause to waive the statute of limitation, the offense must be charged within one year. Something seems off about this.
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

If you're stating that your vehicle was registered at the house where the ticket was received, but you had moved, did not update the registration, and did nothing (or were not told) when the ticket arrived at the relative's house back in 2014, that would explain the delay.

If this ticket includes a notice to appear section for a court, with fines suggesting a 2014 default and the addition of late fees and penalties, then it seems that it is the court's position that you defaulted back in 2014.

If you can clarify what happened, it will be easier to suggest how to respond -- as otherwise, we're guessing.

If this is a Los Angeles County ticket, although policies may change in the future, for now they're not taking any action beyond billing the recipients of red light camera tickets.

1. Sponsored Links