Default Do You Have to Get a New Driver's License Immediately After a Name Change

My question involves a driver's license issued by the State of: NJ
    I have a question please? I am in the process of legally changing my last name back to my maiden name in NJ. Regarding my drivers license and car registration, am I required by law to immediately obtain a new drivers license and registration or can I wait until the expiration date on my current license and registration?

I appreciate any help!

Default Re: Legally Changing Name Back to Maiden Name in New Jersey

You have 14 days from when the name change takes effect to get new license and registration. You must do it in person and comply with the 6-point identification system. You have to be able to show the association of the old and new name. You will need to have your name changed with the SSA before you go to NJ DMC.

* IMPORTANT INFORMATION:
    If your current legal name is different from the name on your civil birth certificate (e.g., your maiden name), then you must show legal proof of the name change. Legal proof = Certified marriage or civil union certificate, divorce decree or court order linking the new name with a previous name.
    Note: A divorce decree may be used as authority to resume using a previous name only if it contains the new name and the previous name and permits a return to use of the previous name.

Certain documents may require proof of legal US presence.
    All documents must be ORIGINAL or CERTIFIED COPIES, in English, and have the required state and/or municipal seals.
    Certified copies of New Jersey records are available from the municipality that originally issued them and from the State Bureau of Vital Statistics at www.nj.gov/health/vital or (609) 292-4087. If your birth certificate is from Jersey City/Hudson County you must check www.nj.gov/health/vital/jerseycity or call (888) 486-3339.

Quote Quoting budwad
    View Post
    You have 14 days from when the name change takes effect to get new license and registration. You must do it in person and comply with the 6-point identification system. You have to be able to show the association of the old and new name. You will need to have your name changed with the SSA before you go to NJ DMC.
    And to elaborate, your name change causes a cascade effect. You have to change it with the Social Security Administration (SSA) and the DMV promptly after the change takes effect. The information for changing it with SSA is found here: https://faq.ssa.gov/ics/support/kban...uestionID=3749

Then that in turn means you need to update your name with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and the NJ Department of Revenue. The IRS matches records with SSA and your name will need to match with both the IRS and SSA. The NJ Division of Revenue (DOR) matches records with the IRS, so your name with the state will need to match the IRS records. Your name with IRS will update on the first tax return you file with the new name, just be sure that you update it with SSA first. The DOR requires that any court ordered name changes be provided to the DOR within 45 days of the change. Instructions for that are found here: http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/reve...mechange.shtml.

Then you’ll need to inform your employer so that your name change will update for your W-2, etc as those will need to match the returns you file. That in turn may require updating your health insurance company with your new name to match your employer’s records, and that would mean updating your doctors so that your claims get paid.

Also update any persons who provide you Forms 1098 (mortgage interest, student tuition paid, etc) and Forms 1099 (clients if you are self-employed, financial firms that pay interest, dividends or with whom you trade stocks, etc) because those records need to match the name on your return for the year as well.

You’ll need to update your auto registration, and then update your insurance company to ensure that those records match. If you pay real estate taxes, ensure the tax assessor has your name change, too. And if you have a passport, you need to update your name on your passport, too.

If there are other places that match records with any of the agencies that I mentioned, you’ll need to update your records with them, too.

One thing I can suggest is getting multiple true copies (the courthouse will do this for a fee) of the order when it is issued. You'll need to show this (and in some cases leave a copy with) various people to make the name change stick.

Quote Quoting flyingron
    View Post
    One thing I can suggest is getting multiple true copies (the courthouse will do this for a fee) of the order when it is issued. You'll need to show this (and in some cases leave a copy with) various people to make the name change stick.
    Great idea, those will definitely come in handy.

For the benefit of future readers, I just want to clarify that the answer to this question is state specific. In my state, which is not New Jersey, when I married and changed my last name I was two months away from the date when I needed to renew my drivers license anyway. The RMV told me not to bother changing my name in May; just to wait until I would be renewing my licence in July and to do both at once.

Future readers in states that are not New Jersey should be sure to check the laws for THEIR state.

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post

Future readers in states that are not New Jersey should be sure to check the laws for THEIR state.
    Always a good idea as state laws vary. Also, if you checked the law some time ago do not assume it is still the same today. Laws, regulations, and agency practice change over time. In particular, with the tighter rules imposed by the federal government for qualifying licenses as REAL ID compliant states are in turn making their licensing rules more rigorous. So things you might have been able to do in the past might not work today. For example, the RMV web site for your state currently states: “If you have moved, changed your name or any other information, you must notify the RMV promptly.” Whether 2 months would be prompt enough is an open question. There is no official guidance I could find on what is considered “prompt.” I hate to say it, but workers at agency call sites don’t always get the law right, and you ought not rely on what they tell you without confirming it by the actual law or regulation, if possible.

Thank you very much for your help!

1. Sponsored Links