Default What Will Happen if a 17-Year-Old Moves Out

My question involves civil rights in the State of: Ohio
    I am 17 years of age. I have a job getting 20+ hours a week on minimum wage. My boyfriend's family has offered to let me move in with them, due to my parents deciding that they hate me. They turned my phone off, took my car off of insurance, and have disowned me. However, I am still living with them. I graduated May 21 of the year and was wondering if I was able to just up and move out. I know regardless of hating me, they like control over me and won't let me leave willingly. So my question is..am I considered emancipated?

Default Re: Emancipation

Ohio does not have an emancipation statute.

Stick it out for a few months - then you can leave whenever you want to go anywhere you want.

No. You are not.

You can walk out the door and never look back the very MINUTE you turn 18. Until then, you live where your parents say you live.

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    No. You are not.

You can walk out the door and never look back the very MINUTE you turn 18. Until then, you live where your parents say you live.
    And what if they leave anyway before they turn 18?

Quote Quoting Justified Force
    View Post
    Mom and dad can report her as a runaway and they can go get her and bring her home. It might also be possible that her boyfriend and his family could get in trouble for harboring a runaway. It is also possible that the parents may simply let her leave with the clothes on her back and be done with it. Let her find out the hard way that life can be a bear.

And, does anyone REALLY think that the parents have suddenly decided that they "hate" their daughter?
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

View Post
    Then Mom and Dad can go and get her little disobedient ass and drag it right back home where she belongs.

Quote Quoting cdwjava
    View Post
    Mom and dad can report her as a runaway and they can go get her and bring her home. It might also be possible that her boyfriend and his family could get in trouble for harboring a runaway. It is also possible that the parents may simply let her leave with the clothes on her back and be done with it. Let her find out the hard way that life can be a bear.
    And life can be an even bigger bear if you live with your parents, depending on what kind of parents you've got.

Quote Quoting cdwjava
    View Post
    And, does anyone REALLY think that the parents have suddenly decided that they "hate" their daughter?
    Hard to say, I would have to hear all sides of the story.

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    Then Mom and Dad can go and get her little disobedient ass and drag it right back home where she belongs.
    That would depend on

A. If they're physically able to drag her back.

B. If they can find her in the first place.

Default Re: What Will Happen if a 17-Year-Old Moves Out

Quote Quoting katilynrenee17
    View Post
    My question involves civil rights in the State of: Ohio
    I am 17 years of age. I have a job getting 20+ hours a week on minimum wage. My boyfriend's family has offered to let me move in with them, due to my parents deciding that they hate me. They turned my phone off, took my car off of insurance, and have disowned me. However, I am still living with them. I graduated May 21 of the year and was wondering if I was able to just up and move out. I know regardless of hating me, they like control over me and won't let me leave willingly. So my question is..am I considered emancipated?
    Your parents cannot "disown" you. You aren't their property. Obviously you guys had some sort of falling out but I highly doubt that they hate you.

If you leave you could be brought back - and your boyfriend's family COULD get in trouble for harboring you.

You are not emancipated until a judge orders it or you are the legal age. If you don't have long until you're 18 you have to suck it up. You and your parents might work things out. But they can control what you do and with who until you're legally an adult.

View Post
    And life can be an even bigger bear if you live with your parents, depending on what kind of parents you've got.

That would depend on

If they can't "physically drag her" then they can have the police called to get her. She just said she's going to live with her boyfriend's family if she could - so I'm sure they can find her.

Default Re: What Will Happen if a 17-Year-Old Moves Out

Quote Quoting qwaspolk69
    View Post
    Your parents cannot "disown" you. You aren't their property.
    Her parents can “disown” her. The word “disown” means “1: to refuse to acknowledge as one’s own 2a: to repudiate any connection or identification with b: to deny the validity or authority of.” Merriam-Webster’s Collegiate Dictionary, 11th Ed. It not a word that relates to property per se. In the context of a statement like “Fred told his daughter Laura that he disowns her”, the word disowns is used to indicate that Fred repudiates his connection with Laura and refuses to recognize her as his daughter. It does not mean he is giving up ownership of her.

47.606 N 122.332 W in body, still at 90 S in my mind.

View Post

That would depend on

Look, I know that you have issues with the way that the law works because You're not allowed to punch people but that this is a law forum.

This is a simple issue and her side is totally irrelevant for this topic. She's a minor. Her parents are responsible for her, legally financially, etc. If she crashes a car into someone else's home the parents can be held responsible. If she gets up to other criminal activities her parents can be held culpable to a limited extent.

So, the mitigating circumstances that your trying to offer this teen, who's supplying no real information other than feeling that her parents don't love her because they limited her access a a car and phone and she wants to run away, is actually counter productive.

We do not encourage unlawful behavior on this site.
    "Where do those stairs go?"
    "They go up!"

1. Sponsored Links