Default What to Do With a Client's Equipment After a Contract Ends

My question involves labor and employment law for the state of: PA

Worked for a large company and my independent contract was not renewed. In possession of a large and expensive piece of equipment (15K) that would need to be shrink wrapped, put on a pallet and trucked away. There are employees with transportation resources locally who could pick it up. They had 45 days of pick it up and my contract has ended and no longer an employee. No attempt to pick it up after several calls and emails. I don't have the resources to pay for a trucking company.

Takes up a lot of room in the home. Can I charge them storage or what legal recourse do I have?

Default Re: Returning Company Equipment

Quote Quoting Little Bat
    View Post
    My question involves labor and employment law for the state of: PA

Worked for a large company and my independent contract was not renewed. In possession of a large and expensive piece of equipment (15K) that would need to be shrink wrapped, put on a pallet and trucked away. There are employees with transportation resources locally who could pick it up. They had 45 days of pick it up and my contract has ended and no longer an employee. No attempt to pick it up after several calls and emails. I don't have the resources to pay for a trucking company.

Takes up a lot of room in the home. Can I charge them storage or what legal recourse do I have?
    You probably do not want to say exactly what the equipment is but is the 15k you quoted the price for new equipment or the actual depreciated value of the equipment? Do you know whether or not the equipment has a decent amount of useful life left or there is any real market for that kind of used equipment?

It is unusual for a company not to quickly attempt to get back valuable equipment. However, if it was something they no longer needed and it did not have a decent re-sale market its possible that a company would abandon it rather than going to the expense of retrieving and disposing of it.

Quote Quoting Little Bat
    View Post
    Can I charge them storage
    No. You've never had an agreement for storage fees so you don't get to create one out of thin air. Besides, they wouldn't pay it. You'd huff and puff for a while, probably wouldn't sue, or if you did you would lose.

Quote Quoting Little Bat
    View Post
    what legal recourse do I have?
    First thing you do is read your contract to see if you obliged yourself to return the equipment. That your contract period is over doesn't necessarily mean you have no further obligations.

If the contract obligates you to return the equipment, then that's what you do, at your expense.

If the contract is silent about that, the alternative is to send written notice to the owner of the company that he has until (date) to remove the item from your property or he will be deemed to have abandoned it and you will dispose of it as you see fit.

Quote Quoting adjusterjack
    View Post
    No. You've never had an agreement for storage fees so you don't get to create one out of thin air. Besides, they wouldn't pay it. You'd huff and puff for a while, probably wouldn't sue, or if you did you would lose.

First thing you do is read your contract to see if you obliged yourself to return the equipment. That your contract period is over doesn't necessarily mean you have no further obligations.

If the contract obligates you to return the equipment, then that's what you do, at your expense.

If the contract is silent about that, the alternative is to send written notice to the owner of the company that he has until (date) to remove the item from your property or he will be deemed to have abandoned it and you will dispose of it as you see fit.
    Like button.

1. Sponsored Links