Default What Happens if You Sell a Car That Turns Out to Have Been Stolen

My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: Illinois

So on April 3rd I purchased a vehicle from OfferUP, the seller had the title, everything matched, looked legit. A couple of days later, I ended up needing the money I spent on it so I posted it up on a Facebook group and sold it. (The title was open, I never signed it) New buyer comes along and wants it left open, later that day saw him post it all over selling it, so guess trying to flip it. Anyway, yesterday he called me to buy an item I had for sale and we set up a time but instead he actually went to the police station to file a report that I sold him a stolen car. His plan was to meet me with the cops at the address. A cop at the station called me so I showed up right away. The buyer made a police report. But now I have no idea what is going to happen?

What can I do in this case?

The car is Indiana, so they haven't confiscated it, but the detective handling the case wants the buyer to drop it off to them.

I am trying to cooperate, am shocked. But what can happen? Detective didn't say anything if I had to refund or if I am getting sued or??

I just ran into some posts on facebook by the buyer, It looks like he has been driving it before, he crashed a rim and broke it, etc.

Default Re: Bought a Stolen Car and Sold It the Days After Unknowingly

You had 30 days from the date of sale to re-title the vehicle in your name. If you would have never title jumped, you would have know before hand and could have went after the person you bought the vehicle from for your money back.
    Now you have to refund or be sued for the money that was paid to you. You then in return, need to find the person that sold you the vehicle and sue them for your money back.
    I'm not a lawyer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.......

In the meantime you run a serious risk of being prosecuted for receiving and selling stolen property so I suggest you keep your mouth shut and hire a criminal defense attorney.

You've probably said too much already.

Given the open title issue especially if the price was "to good to be true", you need to be shopping for a lawyer. If you paid fair market value for the car it would help support ignorance of it being a stolen vehicle.

1. Sponsored Links