Default Can You Recover Money You Gave Your Ex- Toward Car Repairs That Were Not Performed

In March, my child's parked car was damaged in a store parking lot by a hit and run driver. There is a police report for the incident. My name is not on the car, as my ex-husband bought the car years ago and pays the insurance. I offered to help pay half of the deductible even though I'm not legally responsible to do so. I paid $500. It has been over 2 months since the accident and the car was never repaired. I just found out that he sold that car and bought a different one for our child. Am I able to get the $500 back?

Default Re: Can You Recover Money You Gave Your Ex- Toward Car Repairs That Were Not Performe

Quote Quoting califneedhelp
    View Post
    Am I able to get the $500 back?
    What did they say when you asked the person you gave the money to?

Default Re: Can You Recover Money You Gave Your Ex- Toward Car Repairs That Were Not Performe

That's a start -- ask your ex- for the money, and see what he says. Beyond that, what evidence do you have that the money was specifically for the deductible (and nothing else), and did you actually give the money to your ex- or did you give it to your child?

You can consider small claims court. I expect that your ex- will either characterize the money as a gift to your child, or argue that it all came out in the wash due to the reduced sale value of the unrepaired vehicle. I can't promise you what the court would believe if that first argument is raised, or how receptive a small claims judge would be to the latter claim.

1. Sponsored Links