Default Will You Be Notified if Your Estranged Parent Dies

Long story short, my father has some sort of personality disorder and has kind of shut himself off from the world. He usually bombards me and my other siblings with emotionally abusive emails or texts, but I haven't heard anything from him for a couple months which is rare. Would I be notified if he died? I'm not sure if he has any of our addresses or a will and he could have even deleted our phone numbers in a fit of anger or despair. I don't want to call the cops because I'm afraid they might check the house and I don't want to get him going again if he's simply decided to be peaceful.

Default Re: Would I Be Notified if My Estranged Father Died

Would I be notified if he died?
    No way to predict.

If his estate goes to probate the executor or representative of the estate would need you to sign stuff so you'd have to be notified unless you were specifically disinherited in a will.

Otherwise, whether you were notified would be up to whoever was handling things.

Find the website of the probate court in the county where he lives. If there's an online case search feature you can look up his name. If not, you can call up and ask as probate cases are public record.

If probate occurs, even if disinherited, a legal heir should receive notice of the estate.

The details will be in the estates code of the state in which the decedent's estate is probated.

I'm assuming a probate court would be able to find my contact info pretty easily? My real fear is that he's been dead in his house for a couple weeks and no one knows because he's so isolated.

Quote Quoting Maddrnkm
    View Post
    I'm assuming a probate court would be able to find my contact info pretty easily? My real fear is that he's been dead in his house for a couple weeks and no one knows because he's so isolated.
    It is not the probate court that notifies you. It is the personal representative of the estate that does that.

Quote Quoting Maddrnkm
    View Post
    If that is your fear, contact local law enforcement in his area to do a welfare check.

Quote Quoting Maddrnkm
    View Post
    ... and the first thing you do is make an account on a legal forum?!

Then go and check on him yourself if you don't want to call the cops. Your mention of a will I think says it all over your concern for his health.

1. Sponsored Links