Hybrid View

Default "Like" Button

Is there any way to get a "like" button added to forum posts? Just curious.

Default Re: "Like" Button

It'd be nice but look how hard it's been for FA to reinstate their Like Button - they had a problem with their Preview Post function, eventually managed to fix it, lost the Like Button as a result, now the Preview Post function problem is back and they still can't reinstate the Like Button. So adding one sounds real hard. Seems like Like Buttons are a programmer's nightmare. (Or something.)

I see message forum sites that use like buttons without any difficulty, though they don't link to social media sites like Facebook. I suspect the ease or difficulty of it varies depending on how the code for the site is constructed and the skill of the programmer(s) implementing it. Some sites just include a like button, others have features to up vote and down vote a post/reply. Some sites go further than just indicating how many likes and dislikes the post gets and makes the post more prominent or buried based on the likes/dislikes generated. So there are a variety of ways to use such a feature. In my view, though, on most sites none of these features are very helpful. My observation is that likes and dislikes on forum posts and internet comment pages often have nothing to do with the quality of the posting but rather is a knee-jerk reaction to whether they agree or disagree with what was said. Thus, a post that is well written and presents an interesting point of view or analysis still gets down voted (and potentially buried) simply because the view expressed is not popular with forum participants, whereas some posts that are very badly written and are nothing more than a rant, rage, or attack against someone or something might generate a ton of likes simply because others happen to like the stance of the post. If you like the lemming follow the crowd kind of thing, then I guess this would be a good feature. But for my part I can do without it and donít see it worthwhile to take the time and effort to implement such a feature. Just my two cents.

Quote Quoting Taxing Matters
    View Post
    I see message forum sites that use like buttons without any difficulty, though they don't link to social media sites like Facebook. I suspect the ease or difficulty of it varies depending on how the code for the site is constructed and the skill of the programmer(s) implementing it. Some sites just include a like button, others have features to up vote and down vote a post/reply. Some sites go further than just indicating how many likes and dislikes the post gets and makes the post more prominent or buried based on the likes/dislikes generated. So there are a variety of ways to use such a feature. In my view, though, on most sites none of these features are very helpful. My observation is that likes and dislikes on forum posts and internet comment pages often have nothing to do with the quality of the posting but rather is a knee-jerk reaction to whether they agree or disagree with what was said. Thus, a post that is well written and presents an interesting point of view or analysis still gets down voted (and potentially buried) simply because the view expressed is not popular with forum participants, whereas some posts that are very badly written and are nothing more than a rant, rage, or attack against someone or something might generate a ton of likes simply because others happen to like the stance of the post. If you like the lemming follow the crowd kind of thing, then I guess this would be a good feature. But for my part I can do without it and don’t see it worthwhile to take the time and effort to implement such a feature. Just my two cents.
    You don't have to make it so that it makes a post get more prominence or not. I've seen on other forums that have a like button and that's all it is - a like button. It doesn't move posts up or down or make them more or less noticeable. It just is there. What do you mean the "lemming follow the crowd kind of thing." There are times I agree with someone and it would be nice to just be able to click "like" and not have to comment on it. Or comment "like."

Quote Quoting Taxing Matters
    View Post
    I see message forum sites that use like buttons without any difficulty, though they don't link to social media sites like Facebook. I suspect the ease or difficulty of it varies depending on how the code for the site is constructed and the skill of the programmer(s) implementing it. Some sites just include a like button, others have features to up vote and down vote a post/reply. Some sites go further than just indicating how many likes and dislikes the post gets and makes the post more prominent or buried based on the likes/dislikes generated. So there are a variety of ways to use such a feature. In my view, though, on most sites none of these features are very helpful. My observation is that likes and dislikes on forum posts and internet comment pages often have nothing to do with the quality of the posting but rather is a knee-jerk reaction to whether they agree or disagree with what was said. Thus, a post that is well written and presents an interesting point of view or analysis still gets down voted (and potentially buried) simply because the view expressed is not popular with forum participants, whereas some posts that are very badly written and are nothing more than a rant, rage, or attack against someone or something might generate a ton of likes simply because others happen to like the stance of the post. If you like the lemming follow the crowd kind of thing, then I guess this would be a good feature. But for my part I can do without it and donít see it worthwhile to take the time and effort to implement such a feature. Just my two cents.
    I was being sarcastic. The like button botheration at FA has been an ongoing farce for some time now.

On the subject of like buttons though, when FA had one, it was used as a time-saver, to state agreement with someone's post without having to go to the trouble of typing out said agreement. It was useful, people used it properly, it attracted no lemmings whatsoever, and it is now greatly missed.

Being a noob here, I find the lack of a "like" button a bit out of date among current forums.

I think the most important aspect of the "like" function requires the forum name of the poster of the "like" to be attached to the "like". Otherwise we will just have more anonymous trolling. Facebook and other social media links would just be a distraction. In successful current forums this is the practice and "dislikes" are not permitted.

Quote Quoting gisguy
    View Post
    Being a noob here, I find the lack of a "like" button a bit out of date among current forums.
    A "Like" button is fine for "popularity & fun" and social networks but not serious forums like this one. When somebody starts a thread in this forum, most often it is because he/she is dealing with a distressing situation and/or has questions about law. That user is looking for orientation on legal matters, not than for verdict by an anonymous "couch jury".

I agree with the comment by Taxing Matters as to quality of the post vs. reader's approval of view expressed. "Liking" a post is also ambiguous, as it can be interpreted that the reader is glad the OP is enduring issues (such as saying "well, you deserve it") or that the reader sympathizes with the OP.

1. Sponsored Links