My son is 15 years old. He is Autistic & Bipolar and receives SSI in our state of Residence which is KS. His father has never been involved outside of paying child support. He recently went on hospice and has been give days to live, and I have some questions about Survivors benefits. I do know this all hinges on his having accumulated enough credits.
Here are my questions.
1. We were never married, but paternity has been established through 1. Signed birth certificate 2. DNA test when he questioned paternity. Is this Sufficient to prove he is his natural child?
2. Do we need to prove that there are no other Minor children?
3. Since my son is on SSI , how would survivor benefits affect the SSI? Does it replace it? If its a low amount does it get tacked on to the SSI?
4. Since my son has been disabled according to SSI since the age of 5 years old ( Developed Autism) , would he receive benefits until he is 22 or for life or marriage?
5. I no longer have his fathers Social , or even his Birthday. How can I obtain it or do I need it to file for Survivors benefits. I do have the court order for child support and to establish paternity.
I greatly appreciate the help. I've been a struggling single Mom for a long time. I just want to make sure my son has what he needs. Even with insurance the bills never end , and he stopped paying child support a couple months ago when became too ill to work.