Default What Happens in Court for First Offense Shoplifting

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Illinois

I recently got caught Shoplifting at Walmart. I wasn't banned from Walmart and they said They aren't going to trespass me since I've been cooperative so I could come back again. They did have to call my local PD because the cost was $120. The officer didn't merandise me but putt me in handcuffs till we got to the PD. She said I was complying so I wouldn't have to bond out, BUT I will have a court date sent in the mail. She said my first offense and they might putt me on court supervision. This all happened to me yesterday. I am freaking out because it was a stupid mistake and I don't want it to end up on my record. I do community service already (for school) and I volunteer at an animal shelter. I've had the same job for 3 years. I graduated high school early. I'm 18 and I have no clue on how I'm suppose to handle this... help!?

Default Re: First Offense Shoplifting

The word is "Mirandize" which comes from the name of the appellant Ernesto Miranda. Miranda rights are only required to be given prior to QUESTIONING while in custody. While some police departments (as you see on TV), spout the rights to someone on any arrest, it's not required if no questioning is to follow. If you are 100% sure that you're going to get court supervision (and you can live up to the terms of that), then go for it. Ohterwise, you need a lawyer.

Default Re: First Offense Shoplifting

Quote Quoting flyingron
    View Post
    The word is "Mirandize" which comes from the name of the appellant Ernesto Miranda. Miranda rights are only required to be given prior to QUESTIONING while in custody. While some police departments (as you see on TV), spout the rights to someone on any arrest, it's not required if no questioning is to follow. If you are 100% sure that you're going to get court supervision (and you can live up to the terms of that), then go for it. Ohterwise, you need a lawyer.
    The officer who took me to the PD is the one who said I would probably get court supervision. I've never been in any trouble before so I'm not 100% sure if I will.

1. Sponsored Links