Default How to Report Abuse and Neglect of a Minor

My question involves juvenile law in the State of: Ohio

This is tough for me after reading some of the posts here. But here it goes.... I am going to give background before getting to the question so please read and bare with me.

My niece is 17. She was molested at 8ish when her mother moved her to another state and stayed with husbands family. She never told anyone until years later. When she was about 14 her mom and step dad moved her stepdads sister and husband into their home. This guy tried to mess with her. She told her mom this time. Her mom phoned me asking what she should do. To me it was obvious, call the police! She was hesitant to do anything like that but wanted to have her set up a camera to prove it. To me this seemed dangerous, careless and just plain stupid. They eventually got it resolved with police. Around that time she started staying with us on the weekends. She never wanted to return home though. And took us forever to understand and find out why. It was because her stepdad was abusive verbally. And with the mother sometimes physically. CPS was called a couple times and the mother had the kids lie.

Eventually after an accidental house fire, the mother left her husband. We moved in to help. But mostly because my niece was uneasy living at home even without the stepfather because the mother is neglectful and just as. Few examples.... the mother works and when she is home spends most of the on her phone in her car or on the couch. But that's when she is even home. If the kids try and talk to her about anything serious she gets mad and yells and screams. Other than that she goes to her friends house who is living with a former convict or her boyfriends hous in another city all day. We provide most of the food and attention in the house. If the kids are sick she gets mad and says she can't do anything because she is worried about the cost of hospitals or doctors most of the time. My niece tried killing herself once at school before we stepped in and started basically doing the the real taking care part.

My niece got a little help from outside sources but admits that it was us caring for her that really did the trick and made her feel better about herself. Her mom will berate the kids and tells my niece she has saggy breasts and stuff which I personally think is inappropriate and does nothing more than hurt her self esteem. Then at 16, just last year she also moved her cousin in. Her cousins kids, 15 and 17 at the time would stay for a week or two. Well the older one tried making sexual advances toward my niece and touching her. She froze because she was scared and didn't know what to do. She thought it was somehow her fault and cut herself because of it. She told me what happened after I saw the cuts and I immediately went off the handle and confronted the kid and told him to get out and don't come back. I told the mother what happened and she really had no emotional reaction at all and would not take the matter further.

This is the third time something has happened in her mothers care. Then most recently her 14 year old daughter was at the park to get away and think. It's what she does when stressed out. I went to the park to check up on her and all was fine. But after I left a guy came up to her that she knew a little. Older but not mentally older. She felt safe she said. They went for a walk and talked and he tried to practically sexually assault her but she ran away after he had already gripped her even though she said to stop repeatedly. The mom was not home so I took her to the police well she trembled and cried. Filed the report and the texted the mom to let her know what had happened (she didn't answer the phone) and she didn't seem too upset like I was. But still upset. She didn't even come home to be with her she came home a few hours later and was only 20 minutes away. She talked about it with her mother the next day and her mother laughed about it and her other sister heard her laughing. I don't know how this is funny but ok! My niece, the 17 year old, wants to Move out of state the second she turns 18. We will be going with her so she has family support until she gets on her feet.

So here is the question. If the 14yo tells CPS what happened and about her moms reaction (laughing etc.) she's afraid they won't really do anything. She has to file a statement with them about the incident next week. So she is afraid to mention it. Although I think she should. What are her options. So doesn't want to be with her mom anymore and only family is her adult half sister a couple cities away.

The 17yo doesn't even feel safe in her moms custody because of the past events but the closer to 18 the more her mom is trying to get her to stay. Even telling her she will make her stay at 18 (10 months away) until school is finished. She has a plan for continuing her last school year in the other state. She doesn't plan on dropping out and not going back. Just to sign herself out and enroll in the other state. To my knowledge her mom can't force her to stay at 18. But the emotional stress is getting to her and she just wants out.

Does the 17yo have any options. We can only do so much without her mom stoppIng us when all we want to do is help. Her mother thinks we put this into her head about moving. It the truth is she is determined to move with or without us. Since her grandfather died and her father has never been in the picture hardly at all l, she has grown close to me. She works with me and she goes everywhere me and my wife go. She says she just feels safe when she is with us because we are the only ones who has ever truly been there for her and of course because I prevented her from staying in danger with her cousin was trying to mess with her.

Anyway. Is there anything that can be done for either of them? I don't want to make it worse. But me and my wife want out niece out of there as bad as she wants out.

Default Re: How to Report Sexual Abuse of a Minor

If you believe that the children are being abused, pick up the phone yourself and call protective services. They can investigate your report.

That's all been done already. The sexual stuff was in the past and was dealt with by CPS and the police I guess it's just too long to comprehend.

To most teenagers not getting their way is neglact and having to do chores is abuse.
    An attorney will tell you to call CPS if you suspect abuse or neglect.

47.606 N 122.332 W in body, still at 90 S in my mind.

Again, if you suspect any sort of abuse call CPS. That is the ONLY thing that you can do. That said, you may well be disappointed with the result, many are. They expect cop cars and parents to be arrested...the truth is an investigation. It's generally slow, absent compellingly clear evidence, and, often, the result is a bit ambiguous. If you report it you may be interviewed.

No one here is willing to read huge blocks of text of essentially irrelevant background, especially when the answer is clear. Also, this post will not be deleted. That's just not how things work here.
    "Where do those stairs go?"
    "They go up!"

Quote Quoting Conserned95
    View Post
    That's all been done already. The sexual stuff was in the past and was dealt with by CPS and the police I guess it's just too long to comprehend.
    If it is irrelevant, don't bring it up, let alone make it the focus of your narrative.

The answer is the same: If you believe the children are being neglected, call CPS and report it.

1. Sponsored Links