Default What is a Programmer's Obligation to Provide Debugging and Revision Services

My question involves independent contractors in the state of: Tennessee

I started a project with a client in 2011. I think I finished it in 2012. At some point before or during that interaction, I told him I did free revisions to fix bugs that were found. But we also had a written contract that did not mention bugs or revisions at all.

This client came back to me in 2015, I believe, and wanted another project done that would interact with the previous projects I'd made him. We did not have any new contract written. But he still expects free revisions on this new work.

Am I contractually obligated to do revisions to this new project for free?

Default Re: What is a Programmer's Obligation to Provide Debugging and Revision Services

Your obligation will depend upon the full facts, which are not known to us. If the 'revisions' are to fix bugs in the work you performed, that may be a matter of implied warranty, consistent with your past course of dealing.

If you can't work this out with your customer, your options include: (a) consulting a lawyer with the details, (b) doing what they want in the interest of customer relations, or (c) doing nothing and seeing what they do in response.

Make sure that you enter into a better contract with your future customers.

Default Re: What is a Programmer's Obligation to Provide Debugging and Revision Services

My client is a lawyer. I am flat broke and getting broker by the day waiting for payment as he finds complaint after complaint to get more work out of me without paying, including the addition of extra code to programatically check for bugs that may or may not actually exist. He is not a client I want to keep, but I would like to get paid for what I've done so far, and I feel defenseless against him unless I can get help through my state's free legal services.

You will have to weigh the amount of work against getting paid, and the delay that will result in being paid (and uncertainty as to amount you might recover) if you refuse to do more work and sue the client in small claims court.

Again, you will want to make sure that you use better contracts for your future work.

1. Sponsored Links