Unhappy Can a Land Owner Decide Not to Sell You Land Despite Prior Discussions of a Sale

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: Minnesota

I hope this is the right forum. I wasn't sure where to post this question. But, I own a trailer that sits on a lot of land owned by my neighbor. When I moved in I agreed to pay him lot rent each month instead of buying the lot from him because at the time he had wanted a ridiculous amount. He did not have any sort of contract at all with me because I have known this man since I was a kid (he's nearing 70 or 80 now). The bills now are too expensive especially considering the size and shape of the lot. I discussed buying the lot with him and he agreed to sell it to me, we just hadn't figured out the price yet.

When I tried to discuss it with him today, he told me that his kids "won't let him sell it now", even though we already agreed on it and he is the owner of the land, not his kids. Is there anything that I can do since he agreed to sell in the first place? Or, if it comes down to it, is there anything he can do to me if I simply refuse to pay the lot rent until he sells it to me, since we never had a contract? He's getting old and has some serious health issues--I do not want the lot to be passed to either of his children because they will make my life hell. I am just trying to save myself some money and headache down the line. Also, my trailer is not movable (too old) so removing it from the lot is not an option. I know he would sell it to me if not for his kids trying to tell him what to do. Very frustrating.

Default Re: Renting a Lot of Land, Agreed to Buy It but He Just Backed Out, What Can I Do

'Is there anything that I can do since he agreed to sell in the first place?'

Other than continuing to discuss the issue with the owner? No. As this point all the two of you have done is discussed purchasing the lot from him. You have no legal contract to do so. You hadn't even decided on a price when he changed his mind.

"Or, if it comes down to it, is there anything he can do to me if I simply refuse to pay the lot rent until he sells it to me, since we never had a contract?"

Yes; your landlord can evict you for failure to pay the lot rent.

"I do not want the lot to be passed to either of his children"

Unfortunately you have no legal control over this should the landlord pass away.

Gail

Default Re: Renting a Lot of Land, Agreed to Buy It but He Just Backed Out, What Can I Do

How can he evict me if I own the trailer and it is not movable? Also, we did not have a contract so, again, how can he evict me if there is no binding contract stating that I have to pay him?

And yes, clearly I know that I have no control if he dies. That's why I'm trying to figure it out before that happens.

A tenancy can exist even in the absence of a written contract. Here, he owns the land and you are paying rent, so you have a periodic tenancy.

You are on his land, so he can give you notice terminating your tenancy (consistent with your state's laws that restrict eviction of manufactured homes) and, if proper notice is given and you fail to move, he can seek an eviction order through the courts. I'm not going to research your state's protections based on a hypothetical -- but the fact that it's difficult and expensive to relocate a manufactured home does not translate into its being impossible to evict the tenant.

Default Re: Can a Land Owner Decide Not to Sell You Land Despite Prior Discussions of a Sale

Quote Quoting Krass
    View Post
    .... When I moved in I agreed to pay him lot rent each month instead of buying the lot from him because at the time he had wanted a ridiculous amount. He did not have any sort of contract at all with me because I have known this man since I was a kid (he's nearing 70 or 80 now). The bills now are too expensive especially considering the size and shape of the lot ....
    Which bills are now too expensive?

1. Sponsored Links