Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Can an 18-Year-Old be Treated as a Runaway

Quote Quoting Justified Force
    View Post
    You might be able to challenge this in federal court. I believe federal law says you're an adult when you turn 18 with some exceptions such as with alcohol in which you're not an adult until you're 21, so you might be able to challenge Nebraska's law in federal court and get it struck down.
    Federal law says no such thing. States are free to set their own ages of majority. It has been that way forever. This is not getting struck down.

View Post
    As for leaving the state and going to a state where you're an adult at 18 Im not sure about that.
    Did you read Taxing's or Mr. KIA's replies? They pretty much already covered this.

Quote Quoting free9man
    View Post
    Did you read Taxing's or Mr. KIA's replies? They pretty much already covered this.
    Now that I've gone back and read their replies its clear that at least according to them that if the OP were to go to a state such as Colorado where you're an adult at 18 they should not run afoul of the law. Also as qwaspolk69 points out, if you're married you're no longer considered a minor in the state of Nebraska even if you're under the age of 18. So that is another loophole they could use, they could get married and this be together at the age of 18 and be legally allowed to be together at the age of 18 and therefore not have to go through with the idiotic idea of waiting an 11 months which they will never get back.

View Post
    therefore not have to go through with the idiotic idea of waiting an 11 months which they will never get back.
    It's not idiotic at all. It's called being an adult. If they do this, she could lose her family. All for a whopping 11 months of wedded bliss (maybe). What happens a year or so down the road if it turns out it's not really love? Then she is alone with no family to support her. OP should man up and respect her parents wishes until she is out from under them.

Default Re: 18 Year Old Running Away to Another State

Quote Quoting Dogmatique
    View Post
    Well, you'd be the expert there. We should defer to your expertise, non?

Go away and come back when you choose to be civilized and non offensive.

47.606 N 122.332 W in body, still at 90 S in my mind.

Default Re: 18 Year Old Running Away to Another State

Given that you call replies "stupid" you are hardly able to complain about someone not being civilized and offensive
    "Where do those stairs go?"
    "They go up!"

View Post
    Now that I've gone back and read their replies its clear that at least according to them that if the OP were to go to a state such as Colorado where you're an adult at 18 they should not run afoul of the law. Also as qwaspolk69 points out, if you're married you're no longer considered a minor in the state of Nebraska even if you're under the age of 18. So that is another loophole they could use, they could get married and this be together at the age of 18 and be legally allowed to be together at the age of 18 and therefore not have to go through with the idiotic idea of waiting an 11 months which they will never get back.
    I never said they should get married. I said that's what the law says that marriage emancipates someone. And under the age of 18 I believe you have to get permission to get married - but they're both 18. I don't know how you missed that. The age of majority is 19 in Nebraska. That's the issue.

Also just because you don't agree with a law doesn't mean much. 19 is the age of majority. They need to deal with it.

View Post
    Now that's one of the stupidest things I've ever heard.
    Why is that the stupidest thing you've heard? They're only 18. And if it is "meant to be" they'll be together in a year right? Right.

Quote Quoting qwaspolk69
    View Post
    I never said they should get married. I said that's what the law says that marriage emancipates someone. And under the age of 18 I believe you have to get permission to get married - but they're both 18. I don't know how you missed that. The age of majority is 19 in Nebraska. That's the issue.
    And I never said they should get married either, that's up to them. I was simply pointing out that getting married prior to turning 19 is a loophole they can use to be considered adults in Nebraska without having first turned 19.

Quote Quoting qwaspolk69
    View Post
    Also just because you don't agree with a law doesn't mean much. 19 is the age of majority. They need to deal with it.
    And that's what Im talking about, ways they can deal with it. Legal ways they can deal with it.

Quote Quoting qwaspolk69
    View Post
    Why is that the stupidest thing you've heard? They're only 18. And if it is "meant to be" they'll be together in a year right? Right.
    See my post at #10

View Post
    And I never said they should get married either, that's up to them. I was simply pointing out that getting married prior to turning 19 is a loophole they can use to be considered adults in Nebraska without having first turned 19.

And that's what Im talking about, ways they can deal with it. Legal ways they can deal with it.

See my post at #10
    I read the posts. It's not stupid to tell them to wait until they're 19. I also wouldn't recommend anyone get married as a "legal loophole." Marriage should not be taken lightly because divorce gets messy.

No they need to deal with it like adults - not legal "loopholes." It's not the end of the world to not be with someone. They're only 18. They have their whole lives ahead of them and good chance is one or both of them will meet someone else. 18 is far too young to be so involved with another person.

Quote Quoting qwaspolk69
    View Post
    I read the posts. It's not stupid to tell them to wait until they're 19. I also wouldn't recommend anyone get married as a "legal loophole." Marriage should not be taken lightly because divorce gets messy.

No they need to deal with it like adults - not legal "loopholes." It's not the end of the world to not be with someone. They're only 18. They have their whole lives ahead of them and good chance is one or both of them will meet someone else. 18 is far too young to be so involved with another person.
    You say they should deal with it like adults, well they're not being treated like adults. As for 18 being too young to be involved with somebody, I've known people who've gotten married well before they turned 18 and have been married for many many years and are still happily married to this day. Who are you to say 18 is far too young. Do you know every 18 year old in the world? If not than you shouldn't stereotype. As for getting married as a legal loophole I never said that that's what they absolutely should do, I merely pointed out that its an option. I do happen to know somebody who got married at the age of 16 because being married gave her grounds for emancipation and she planned on getting divorced at 21. The OP also mentioned the possibility of going to another state such as Colorado where the age of majority is 18. Also the OP did point out that waiting until they're 19 would be the simplest thing to do but he doesn't want to use that option. Just because a certain way of dealing with a situation is the simplest and easiest way doesn't mean its the adult way.

Also, saying that at 18 they have their whole lives ahead of them is a poor assumption to make. 18 is much lower than the average lifespan and there is a good chance that they will live longer but the fact of the matter is nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.

Anyway the OP did say that he and his girlfriend were planning to move to Colorado and that they would most likely be doing so in the beginning of May. He hasn't responded to the thread since and as it is now June its safe to say they went ahead with their plans.

View Post
    You say they should deal with it like adults, well they're not being treated like adults. As for 18 being too young to be involved with somebody, I've known people who've gotten married well before they turned 18 and have been married for many many years and are still happily married to this day. Who are you to say 18 is far too young. Do you know every 18 year old in the world? If not than you shouldn't stereotype. As for getting married as a legal loophole I never said that that's what they absolutely should do, I merely pointed out that its an option. I do happen to know somebody who got married at the age of 16 because being married gave her grounds for emancipation and she planned on getting divorced at 21. The OP also mentioned the possibility of going to another state such as Colorado where the age of majority is 18. Also the OP did point out that waiting until they're 19 would be the simplest thing to do but he doesn't want to use that option. Just because a certain way of dealing with a situation is the simplest and easiest way doesn't mean its the adult way.

Also, saying that at 18 they have their whole lives ahead of them is a poor assumption to make. 18 is much lower than the average lifespan and there is a good chance that they will live longer but the fact of the matter is nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.

Anyway the OP did say that he and his girlfriend were planning to move to Colorado and that they would most likely be doing so in the beginning of May. He hasn't responded to the thread since and as it is now June its safe to say they went ahead with their plans.
    Yes and I know people who have gotten married at 18 and were divorced within a few years. I also know people who were married older and divorced and married older and stayed together. I also know people who have never gotten married and have been together for decades. What's your point? 18 generally is pretty young and THESE days marriages overall don't last let alone at 18.

DO you know every 18 year old in the world? No. Now you've gotten completely off topic and all you've been doing is trolling people the last few days.

It's quite possible they only have a few months until they turn 18 - and this person hasn't been back on here since what April? So they obviously have figured something out or are waiting.

Generally at 18 you do have your whole life ahead of you. People on average have a pretty long lifespan. Yes anything can happen. I am very well aware of that.

No it's not safe to say they went ahead with their plans. As I said they could have done something different. Could have broken up. YOU don't know. Stop being a troll.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast