Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Error in Title Transfer Causes Both States to Deny Holding Title to a Vehicle

My question involves vehicle registration or title in the state of: AZ & SC

We have moved between AZ and Sc a few times for my job. We bought the vehicle in Az in 2005. Registered it in AZ 2005. We are the only owners. The vehicle has only been registered in these two states.

We moved to Sc and it was registered 8/2010.

We moved back to AZ.... The car was registered in AZ 3/9/2012. We were released from the lien holder, while living in AZ 9/28/2010. The lien holder sent us the RELEASE OF LIEN form 10/02/2012 to the correct address in AZ. We were instructed to take the form to the DMV for retrieve our title. Which we did. The local DMV (ADOT) said they didn't have our title!!! They told us SC had it! How this could be? I don't even understand.

We called SCDMV in 2012, they said they didn't have it. AZ was responsible for titling the vehicle. It went back and forth. We got no where. We also called the lien holder. They were no help. They never held the title. We own the car now since we paid off the loan.

I still do not have my title. Neither DMVs will solve my missing title issue, even though I have all the paperwork.

Fast forward 2017, we have just moved back to SC 2/2107. I'm trying to register the car again. I can not because of the title issue. SC says AZ is holding the title. Same pointing fingers at the other state game. I sent in the paperwork for the title to ADOT. I still have not received my title. I ran a MVR through ADOT. It states a current title number on the record. I emailed ADOT. They gave me some ridiculous reply of my title is being held out of state by a lien holder. That SC needs to provide me a title.
    I've owned my car for years. I've given AZ my lien release form before. I've tried to go through SC as well, since AZ insists it's SC's responsibility.

I lived in AZ when we paid off the car loan. The lien holder sent us the release form to AZ. The car was registered in Az at the same time. We stayed in Az until 2017. My car is currently still registered in Az.

This is my car. I've done everything correctly. I still have my lien release paperwork form from the lien holder. I don't know what snap-foo has happened between the two states systems, but I don't know what to do. How do I get my title? It's not even an issue of a duplicate. I've never been able to get the original.

Default Re: Vehicle Has Been Registered in Two States, Neither Dmvs Will Release the Title

Did you file to transfer the title to each state as you moved to the new state? If so, the last state you transferred it to should be holding your title. If you didn't transfer the title since purchase, it should be held by whatever state that was.

Default Re: Vehicle Has Been Registered in Two States, Neither Dmvs Will Release the Title

Quote Quoting Sweetp427
    View Post

This is my car. I've done everything correctly. I still have my lien release paperwork form from the lien holder. I don't know what snap-foo has happened between the two states systems, but I don't know what to do. How do I get my title? It's not even an issue of a duplicate. I've never been able to get the original.
    No, you haven't done everything correctly.

You spent over 4 years in AZ. At any time during those 4 years you could have posted a bond with the AZ DMV and gotten an AZ title. The bond is only required for 3 years and you would have been done with it by now.

Unfortunately, SC does not appear to have a process for posting a bond to get a title. I've been through the vehicle title laws and haven't found any mention of it.

You can go to the SC DMV and ask about a bonded title.

If there is nothing like that in SC you may have to move back to AZ or to a state that allows bonded titles.

North Carolina and Georgia both have a title bond procedure. Depending on where you live in SC you might have to spend some money to establish residency in one of those states so you can get a title.

In all but 11 states, it is the lienholder that holds the physical title to a vehicle. That would be your lender. In the other 11 states, it is the vehicle owner that holds the physical title. Both AZ and SC are lienholder states.

When you received the release of lien, you should have also received the title. Taking the letter and title to the DMV, the DMV would have issued a new title without the lien on it. Are you sure you didn't receive the title?

In no state does the DMV hold the physical title.

Quote Quoting budwad
    View Post
    In all but 11 states, it is the lienholder that holds the physical title to a vehicle. That would be your lender. In the other 11 states, it is the vehicle owner that holds the physical title. Both AZ and SC are lienholder states.

When you received the release of lien, you should have also received the title. Taking the letter and title to the DMV, the DMV would have issued a new title without the lien on it. Are you sure you didn't receive the title?

In no state does the DMV hold the physical title.
    I need to edit my dates....there's a typo I see....we registered the vechicle in Arizona....3/9/2012 and the lienholder release was 9/28/2012. I've never received the title after the lienholder sent us the release form.

I paid off the loan in AZ. The lienholder sent us the paper work in Az. Went to the DMV in AZ, where the vehicle was registered, and was told the title was being held in SC, and ADOT couldn't issue the title to us. Why would SC have it?? I was living in AZ and the paid off the loan in AZ. When we called SC, we were told AZ had to issue the title.

2017, Both states are still saying the other one needs to issue the title. SC has a canceled title in their system for dates that my vechicle was registered in AZ. I was not living in SC at time. I didn't even pay off the loan until we moved to Az.

Maybe I don't understand how this works. Should my title have transferred over to Az and I didn't? Should it have been issued & and canceled in SC at all?

All I know is it is in a canceled state in South Carolina. I never received it after I was mailed my release paper from the lienholder. South Carolina won't issue me a new one. They say That it's AZ's error. Arizona is stating SC needs to issue the title.

Quote Quoting adjusterjack
    View Post
    No, you haven't done everything correctly.

You spent over 4 years in AZ. At any time during those 4 years you could have posted a bond with the AZ DMV and gotten an AZ title. The bond is only required for 3 years and you would have been done with it by now.

Unfortunately, SC does not appear to have a process for posting a bond to get a title. I've been through the vehicle title laws and haven't found any mention of it.

You can go to the SC DMV and ask about a bonded title.

If there is nothing like that in SC you may have to move back to AZ or to a state that allows bonded titles.

North Carolina and Georgia both have a title bond procedure. Depending on where you live in SC you might have to spend some money to establish residency in one of those states so you can get a title.
    I had no idea about junk bonds. It should have been a simple process of going into the DMV with my title release from the lienholder.

I would start with the lending bank that held the lien. Contact them and ask where is the original title ( the physical title to the car) to the car, and what did they do with it when you moved to AZ. When you purchased the car in SC, the title would have been sent to them and they should have sent it to you with the release of the lien regardless of you paying off the lien while living in AZ or registering the car in AZ .

The DMV does not hold titles unless the state has digital titles.

Quote Quoting budwad
    View Post
    I would start with the lending bank that held the lien. Contact them and ask where is the original title ( the physical title to the car) to the car, and what did they do with it when you moved to AZ. When you purchased the car in SC, the title would have been sent to them and they should have sent it to you with the release of the lien regardless of you paying off the lien while living in AZ or registering the car in AZ .

The DMV does not hold titles unless the state has digital titles.
    The lien holder did not have the title on file to be released. The release paper told me to go to the DMV to get a certified copy of the title. They sent me a release paper to give to DMV to get the title. I didn't purchase the car SC. I purchased the vehicle in AZ in 2005.

Then the lien holder screwed up. As I have already posted, the DMV in AZ does not hold the title with liens and neither does SC. Your lien holder had the obligation of transferring the title to you electronically through the MVD. So the lien holder is where you start.

Read this.

Quote Quoting budwad
    View Post
    Then the lien holder screwed up. As I have already posted, the DMV in AZ does not hold the title with liens and neither does SC. Your lien holder had the obligation of transferring the title to you electronically through the MVD. So the lien holder is where you start.

Read this.
    If it was the lienholder, what's the next step?? Please and thank you.

After I ask where the actual physical title was sent, (if I can even get this information from the lienholder) how do I actually get a hold of it?

Well contact the lender and ask if they held paper title or electronic title and what did they do (under the law) to remove there lien form the title and reissue it to you without the lien. Remind them that that the law can impose penalties for failure to reissue the title or supply the paper title. They are the ones that screwed this up.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast