Default Ex Refuses to Sign Quit Claim Deed

I live in Texas and am divorced. During my marriage I financed a home in my name only because my ex-husband's credit score was very low and he had quite a bit of debt at the time. Although his name was not on the mortgage note, his name was put on the deed. After our divorce, he would not sign the quit claim deed and I am interested in purchasing another home in the near future. Can I just provide the divorce decree records showing that I have sole ownership of the house. His name was never on the mortgage note and I am solely responsible for the debt. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: EX Refusal to sign Quit Claim Deed

Depending on what the judgment in the lawsuit said, it is possible that title was transferred and thus the judgment would need to be recorded in the land deed records of the county where the land is.

Otherwise, you need to file a motion in the original lawsuit to have him found in contempt of court for not signing the quit claim deed.

Or you could ask the court to appoint a commissioner to sign the deed in your husband's name.

The best route would be to have a local title company run a report for you on the status of the title. They can tell you what it would take to get it cleared up.

Thumbs up Re: Ex Refuses to Sign Quit Claim Deed

Thank you for your advice. I will start with the title company and go from there. At this point If I can avoid getting him involved at all, that would be preferred. I will also look into having a comissioner sign the deed on his behalf. Thanks again!!!

1. Sponsored Links