Default Should You Replace a Retaining Wall Before Selling a House

My question involves real estate located in the State of: Georgia.

My home is on the market for $237K. I have a retaining wall between my house & next door neighbor, constructed by the previous owner of my house approximately 14 years ago (it is on my property). The wall is constructed with railroad ties. We had the wall evaluated by a contractor prior to listing the house, because there are some areas of deterioration. The contractor indicated that while it may not be the prettiest wall in the world, it is still structurally sound. He also indicated that because of the railroad ties, the areas of deterioration cannot be repaired, that the whole wall would need to be replaced, at a cost of $6000, which I do not intend to spend on a retaining wall that is still intact.

Our next door neighbor neighbor mentioned the condition of the wall to my husband fall of last year. It has not even been on our radar as an issue since we never see it.

My agent informed me today that our next door neighbor called her and asked if the retaining wall was going to be replaced as part of the sale of the house. The wall faces his property, and he sees it every time he backs out of his driveway. She explained that it would not be. Our neighbor told her that he would be coming over the moment someone moved in telling them to fix that wall. He told her "you've been warned".

I know this is not necessarily a legal question, but I am wondering if anyone out there has been in a similar situation? I am worried that said neighbor is going to speak to people he sees viewing the house and chase them off. He can't make us repair the wall, but he can certainly make it difficult to sell. Any advice?

Default Re: Should You Replace a Retaining Wall Before Selling a House

If you fully disclose the condition of the wall to a buyer when you sell the property, it doesn't much matter if the neighbor tells them what they already know after they purchase the home and move in.

I don't think the condition of the wall will be the issue for prospective buyers. It will be that the buyer will have buttinski neighbors.

Quote Quoting budwad
    View Post
    I don't think the condition of the wall will be the issue for prospective buyers. It will be that the buyer will have buttinski neighbors.
    Yeah, welcome to the neighborhood - now fix that wall....

If you are worried about the neighbor chasing off perspective buyers, you could try this route.

Have several contractors come by and give you an Est. on the work involved and the cost to repair/replace the wall. Also ask the contractors if they will need to have access to the neighbors property to be able to do the work. Schedule these estimates to take place when you know the neighbor will be home.
    Then if you happen to run into the neighbor you can mention that you are getting estimates on repairing the wall before you sell and if the contractors did say they'll need access to his property you can mention that as well and ask if he would grant that permission for contractors to trespass on his property during the wall work.
    This alone may be all you need to make the neighbor happy enough to leave your potential buyers alone until it's too late for him to be a bother in the sale process.

The other thing is it would be good to have several Est. on the wall repair/replacement in case you get a buyer who's inspector says the wall needs to be repaired/replace. That way you'll have a number to work with if this situation arises with the buyer and negotiate the sale price based on the wall Est.

Quote Quoting yyz0
    View Post
    If you are worried about the neighbor chasing off perspective buyers, you could try this route.

Have several contractors come by and give you an Est. on the work involved and the cost to repair/replace the wall. Also ask the contractors if they will need to have access to the neighbors property to be able to do the work. Schedule these estimates to take place when you know the neighbor will be home.
    Then if you happen to run into the neighbor you can mention that you are getting estimates on repairing the wall before you sell and if the contractors did say they'll need access to his property you can mention that as well and ask if he would grant that permission for contractors to trespass on his property during the wall work.
    This alone may be all you need to make the neighbor happy enough to leave your potential buyers alone until it's too late for him to be a bother in the sale process.

The other thing is it would be good to have several Est. on the wall repair/replacement in case you get a buyer who's inspector says the wall needs to be repaired/replace. That way you'll have a number to work with if this situation arises with the buyer and negotiate the sale price based on the wall Est.
    What a great idea! Thank you!

1. Sponsored Links