Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default What Constitutes Emotional Abuse

My question involves civil rights in the State of: Nebraska

I'm a disabled veteran. I live with my biological mother and step-father. I have very severe agoraphobia (the fear of open spaces, ie outdoors.) to the point where I am nearly housebound. (So clearly, there's no escape from this.)

Often times, especially now that spring is upon us and yard work needs to be done, they will get upset if I refuse to do something outside; despite my condition being what it is. Technically, yes I can go outside. It is extremely distressing for me to do so under any circumstance, and I need someone else to be there with me at all times. Also I couldn't do it long enough to get anything done anyways.

As I was saying, my mother will stand there and lay into me about everything I need to do, and generally get on my back about everything. I know this doesn't seem like it's exactly a legal situation, but there is a pattern of what I want to start calling "emotional abuse". Whenever I'm not as useful to them as they would like, or if I do something wrong, I get the 3rd degree. I'm not really in a position to defend myself, so I just have to sit there and take it. And yes agoraphobia is what I would call the disability, but I also suffer from severe depression, which is somewhat treated so that I can at least move; but it is harder than it should be.

I've been taking this for years accepting that it is just my life and my problems. I get that. The reason I'm on here is to determine if there's a halfway decent case here or not. Disability cannot come soon enough, which I'm having trouble getting; but that's for another thread. Thanks for your help.

Edit: Also I want to add that if they are feeling bad for any reason, usually stress, they will make me feel bad. 99% of the time I'm not the cause of their problem, but I have to just absorb their negativity because they just want to unload it on me to make themselves feel better. Well, just my biological mother. My step-dad is not really that supportive of me in general and will just agree with literally anything my mom says. They will do this no matter how depressed/bad I look. Just whenever they feel like unloading their negativity on me. Also I forgot to mention that I'm 27 years old.

Default Re: What Determines Emotional Abuse

If you are asking whether or not there is a law that will prohibit your mother from treating you this way, the answer is no, there is not.

Wow. And people wonder why veteran suicide rates are so high? You sacrifice your health for your country, come back. It takes years to get disability. You have to move in with somebody, and you better have somebody that's willing to take care of you for at least as long as the disability takes. Then once you're there, they can treat you however they want.

Okay. What law do YOU think there is that dictates how people are supposed to behave towards you? And what happens when you behave towards someone in a way they don't like? Do they get to take legal action against you?

I'm sorry you're being treated badly. But I don't think the country you fought for is one where your behavior is dictated by law and your freedom to express yourself is limited by those same laws.

I never "behave badly" towards anyone. I've lived my life like a saint, and this is what I get in return.

I never said that there had to be a law dictating how people are supposed to behave towards me. I just thought there might be a law protecting disabled veterans from emotional abuse. Do you think that's unreasonable?

I think that there are a great many ways to define "emotional abuse" and that it is frequently in the eye of the beholder.

And I think that when you start to single out a group of people for whatever reason and pass laws that determine how people are supposed to behave towards them (and yes, that is exactly what you are asking for whether you are thinking of it in those terms or not), you are asking for trouble.

Ok...I see what you're saying. However, I'm no lawyer, but aren't there laws protecting people from things in general? People file sexual harassment claims between two adults, right? But yeah I see that what I'm saying is that I shouldn't be treated a certain way because of my veteran status and apparent disability. I guess I just don't believe that somebody who's helpless should have to endure abuse from somebody else who's in a position of total power over them. It's not like if I don't like what she's saying, I can just drive away. I am just forced to be subjected to it and it's starting to feel wrong. You know I'm completely dependent on them, right? In that way, I'm a lot like a child. (as much as I hate to say it!)

Are you receiving treatment for your conditions?

Yes absolutely. I see a psychologist and I take anxiety and depression medications, all from the VA.

Have you been found disabled by SSA or the VA ? Have you discussed with your treating psychiartist or psychologist other places you might move to ? Do they have a homeless program for vets in your area ? Have you looked into places you can move to if/when you are approved for disability ? Your mother and step father do not have to allow you to live with them.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast