Default What to Do After You Purchase a Stolen Trailer

My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: Texas

I bought a travel trailer from a man that was passing through Dallas. He gave me a number and said it was the VIN, but when I took it into the DMV several weeks later they said that was merely the model number of the trailer. The VIN number cannot be located anywhere on the trailer at this point. I have a bill of sale from this guy who lives in NY, his address, as well as his banking information from the transfer from my Wells Fargo account.
    How do I start the process of suing this man for falsely representing this trailer (on several items including the state of the plumbing, roofing, suspension, and electrical system) when in reality it is likely stolen and impossible to get a title for since the VIN is missing?

Thanks

Default Re: Buying from a Thief

You don't KNOW that it's stolen so making those kinds of accusations isn't going to get you anywhere.

The best you can hope for is a lawsuit against the seller for rescission and refund based on failure to provide good title.

And even that's iffy.

Trouble is, you willingly bought the trailer without getting title in hand and you bought it AS IS so the condition of the trailer is not something you will prevail on because you could have and should have inspected it carefully.

Fortunately, there is a remote possibility that you might be able to post a bond and get a VIN assigned and a title.

Read this:

http://smallbusiness.chron.com/texas...ess-13055.html

Go back to the DMV and ask if you can do that based on having a bill of sale.

1. Sponsored Links