Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Can You Become a Probation Officer with a Criminal Record

My question involves criminal records for the state of: Minnesota

Hi, I would like to know if I can become a probation officer with a 5th degree domestic assault charge in the sate of Minnesota. I was arrested for pushing & shoving a women. This incident happened at the age of 20, I am now 23. I am off probation and this is all in my past now . From what I understand as long as I'm not currently on any supervised probation myself, I technically stand a chance at becoming a PO. So what I would like to know is 1. Can I become a PO still , and 2. So say my charges don't disqualify me... But When applying I know my record won't be overlooked but is it going to screw me over and get my Application tossed, will they even give me a fair chance? Or is this misdemeanor going to be a serious problem for finding a job. Currently I am making up for my record with my grades In college . All A's .. I will graduate school with a exceptionally well GPA if that helps. I really hope this won't affect me greatly because if you guys say it will right here right now on this forum I might have no choice but to switch careers.

Thanks

Default Re: Can You Become a Probation Officer with a Criminal Record

Getting a career in any of the criminal justice fields with any criminal record is going to be extremely difficult. First off, you're outright banned from possessing a firearm. Even in roles that do not require you to carry a weapon are not usually disposed to hire criminals. You should probably think about switching careers. Shame on whatever school you are attending didn't warn you of this before they took your money.

Quote Quoting flyingron
    View Post
    Getting a career in any of the criminal justice fields with any criminal record is going to be extremely difficult. First off, you're outright banned from possessing a firearm. Even in roles that do not require you to carry a weapon are not usually disposed to hire criminals. You should probably think about switching careers. Shame on whatever school you are attending didn't warn you of this before they took your money.
    I talked to allot of qualified people before going to school and they all said its possible, it's been done before with felonys actually. They said becoming a cop would be extremely tough but not a PO. So a a tiny little incident is going to ruin my life your saying? I was 2 seconds away from not even being arrested the situation was that non serious.

What kind of advise are you actually giving on this site? Is your advise based on the assumption that every person that applies for law enforcement should be perfect? Well I guess that is a good rule of thumb for the hiring process n people like you, but it's not always the case. Because I guaranteed I wouldn't just be good in law enforcement I would excell

So you stand by your answer saying that individual hiring agency's will not take into consideration of detail and the nature of the crime committed. Because if they do they would see my incident is as least serious as they get. Nobody perfects, and if you don't understand that your pathetic. I mean look at the connection between domestic violence and current police officers.

Either your giving bad advice or our system really is pathetic, the reviews on this site were right. Bunch of a** holes

Well, I'm sorry that we didn't give you the answer you wanted to hear, and I can't speak for Minnesota, but I can guarantee you that here in North Carolina, any officer of the court or state must have a clean record. If you were all self-assured in your answer, why did you bother to ask.

You should clean up your attitude a bit. You won't ever get any job with social skills like that.

47.606 N 122.332 W in body, still at 90 S in my mind.

I talked to allot of qualified people before going to school and they all said its possible, it's been done before with felonys actually. They said becoming a cop would be extremely tough but not a PO. So a a tiny little incident is going to ruin my life your saying? I was 2 seconds away from not even being arrested the situation was that non serious.
    The tiny little non serious incident did result in you being arrested AND charged AND convicted so I guess it turned out to be serious.

What kind of advise are you actually giving on this site? Is your advise based on the assumption that every person that applies for law enforcement should be perfect? Well I guess that is a good rule of thumb for the hiring process n people like you, but it's not always the case. Because I guaranteed I wouldn't just be good in law enforcement I would excell
    DV is a disqualifier for law enforcement based on federal firearms laws. There are other felonies that departments may be willing to work with but DV is not usually one of them. Whether or not you feel that you'd excel as a PO is immaterial. I feel I'd excel as a jet pilot but the Navy would probably disagree.

So you stand by your answer saying that individual hiring agency's will not take into consideration of detail and the nature of the crime committed. Because if they do they would see my incident is as least serious as they get. Nobody perfects, and if you don't understand that your pathetic. I mean look at the connection between domestic violence and current police officers.
    This is nothing but sour grapes. You think it wasn't serious but the DA thought it was serious enough to charge and convict you. You also want to form a link between DV and current police with accepting recruits with existing DV records because it would serve your desires.

You call us a bunch us a**holes but you're the one coming here and asking us the question. You didn't like the answer, so that's our problem? Typical, you sound like my daughter when she doesn't get the answer she wants. No one here has any responsibility to you, we accept the task of performing research and applying it, and personal experience, to your situation as presented by you. If you're so afraid of an answer that doesn't go your way then don't waste our collective time.
    "Where do those stairs go?"
    "They go up!"

Quote Quoting Minnesota1000
    View Post

Either your giving bad advice or our system really is pathetic, the reviews on this site were right. Bunch of a** holes
    And now everyone that ever reads this thread will see WHY you have issues, and will be GLAD that you will be finding a different career, one more suitable to your type.

View Post
    First off, being a Probation Officer often requires a college degree and A LOT of reading and writing. There are some clues in this post, alone, that indicate this may not the best position for you. But, as I am not always perfect when posting on the fly, I'll let that go.

Second, you say this was a 5th degree assault charge. Since you add that it was a "domestic" assault charge, I assume that this woman was a family member or resided with you? Or, that you were - or had been - in a dating/sexual relationship with them? If so, THIS can bar you from any position where possession of a firearm is a requirement.

Further, even if MN categorizes a PO differently than many other states, each agency gets to set their hiring standards. You may well find that even if the conviction is not a statutory bar to employment as a Probation Officer, the employing agency will choose not to hire anyone with such a conviction in their background.

Maybe. But, unfortunately, your indiscretion from a few years ago limits your opportunities in the Criminal Justice field. This is not something that any of the posters here did, but, something that your state legislators did. While there may be options available to you to expunge this record and even restore your firearms rights, that, alone, is no guarantee that an agency has to overlook your past conviction when they consider you for a position as a PO.

Unless barred by statute from hiring you (which, they would be if you are required to carry a firearm), the agency can set their own standards as to what kind of past they want to take a risk with in their new hires. Some agencies may not be picky, others may be choosy as heck. You might want to consider speaking to the background folks at a local Probation Department and see what they might have to say on the issue, and your options.

The facts are what they are. All because you do not like the answer doesn't make the responders a-holes. NO ONE has a "right" to enter the criminal justice field. The fact is that, in general, the screening process is rigorous, and the standards are expected to be high. Its what the public demands, and, what they deserve. It's also why the general public is rightfully astonished and dismayed when those engaged in the criminal justice system engage in malfeasance.

So, if you insist that this is a career for you, do some investigating. I don't know how POs are classified in your state. It may be that they are not peace officers and the standards are, officially, very low. But, even if the standards are low by statute, a hiring agency can always establish higher standards that exclude convicted domestic batterers.

View Post

Don't shoot the messenger, sport. We didn't write the laws; we only told you what they were.

Quote Quoting jimnyc
    View Post
    And now everyone that ever reads this thread will see WHY you have issues, and will be GLAD that you will be finding a different career, one more suitable to your type.
    lolol what you guys think this is a job interview? First off screw my grammar idc about it in this situation. All I'm trying to do is get my question across if my typin was so bad you guys couldn't comprehend what I was asking then yeah maybe I should do a better job but that's clearly not the case so stop pointing irrelevant things out, and I'm my old phone which sucks.

And second did you not read my original post? I have a near 4.0 gpa and trust me when I say the educational part of becoming a PO is not difficult so don't come at me with insults suggestion my intelligence I sent high enough to become a PO. And as far as my attitude goes.. So none of you guys would be pissed off if a simple thing such as you pushing someone is going to wreck your whole fricken life???? Are you kidding ,me that's BS. Unbelievable actually. And FYI she punched me and I restrained her. So this whole charge is BS but that don't matter now. And actually if your a PO it would be better to have a asertive attitude rather than passive . Unless you want your clients to not take you serious

why did you guys think I wanted to become a PO? Because it's simple as SH** and is almost s joke as a profession . It's funny cause slot of people actually think there making a difference in the community, they might think there a hero or something.. I think PO's have the rep of being that guy that just didn't have what it takes to be a cop so they settle for half cop half social work.

View Post
    lolol what you guys think this is a job interview? First off screw my grammar idc about it in this situation. All I'm trying to do is get my question across if my typin was so bad you guys couldn't comprehend what I was asking then yeah maybe I should do a better job but that's clearly not the case so stop pointing irrelevant things out, and I'm my old phone which sucks.

And second did you not read my original post? I have a near 4.0 gpa and trust me when I say the educational part of becoming a PO is not difficult so don't come at me with insults suggestion my intelligence I sent high enough to become a PO. And as far as my attitude goes.. So none of you guys would be pissed off if a simple thing such as you pushing someone is going to wreck your whole fricken life???? Are you kidding ,me that's BS. Unbelievable actually. And FYI she punched me and I restrained her. So this whole charge is BS but that don't matter now. And actually of your a PO it would be better to have a asertive attitude rather than passive .

why did you guys think I wanted to become a PO? Because it's simple as SH** and is almost s joke as a profession . It's funny cause slot of people actually think there making a difference in the community when I'm all reality there clearly not. .
    Seems like you're a perfect fit, non?

You're welcome, son.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast