Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Re: Self-Defense Against Sexual Assault

Maybe you would get in trouble, maybe you wouldn't. If you claim someone TRIED to grope you, that could be pretty nebulous and would likely result in battery charges and probably little ability to argue self defense. Assuming the other party called the police, of course. If someone was really trying to seually assault you, I doubt they'd be keen on calling the cops.

The bottom line here is that no one can say what will happen in a hypothetical "what if ..." scenario. A lot depends on facts, details, statements, and other evidence. Not to mention the state of occurrence and the nature of self defense laws in that state.

So, I recommend you avoid places where men or women are trying to grope or fondle you against your will.
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

If someone were to stick a gun in your face and rob you, would you:
    A. Punch them in the face.
    B. Notify the proper authority.

If someone were to grope you, would you:
    A. Punch them in the face.
    B. Notify the proper authority.

Your answer should be the same for both questions.
    I'm not a lawyer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.......

I dunno ... SHOULD and WOULD might be different issues.

If someone were to point a gun at me and rob me, he'd get my wallet, my watch, my cell phone, and a polite "yes sir," until he was gone. THEN I would call the police. But, I doubt I'd punch someone holding a gun on me! (Though, under the right circumstances a series of blows might be appropriate and effective.)

On the other hand, if someone were to actually GROPE me - or my wife, I might be inclined to pop them if they were still standing there. It's a knee-jerk reaction, even though it could result in charges of battery. However, the cops would likely arrest the groper (for the more serious offense) and just refer the resulting puncher to the DA for consideration of charges (i.e. labeling it "for review" which can be code for "you can drop this one").

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,

Quote Quoting qwaspolk69
    View Post
    You wouldn't if you only punched him once and he was subdued and you left the situation. Why? Did that happen?

But if he only groped you and you punched him I guess I see it. Idk. I've been groped by guys and didn't punch them. I removed myself from the situation.
    If somebody intentionally tries to touch you in a private area that's assault.

Quote Quoting Dogmatique
    View Post
    Homophobic much there, JF?

I wonder why that might be.
    No, I've met gay people and they were quite decent. Why do you ask?

Quote Quoting qwaspolk69
    View Post
    Do you get sexually assaulted by children often? What's the difference if it's a woman or a man who gropes you? The response should be the same...if it's just a grope walk away. If they come after you, you defend yourself. A punch probably isn't the first response to a grope.
    You do understand that a grope means to intentionally try to touch somebody in a private area, a part of the body that would be covered by a bathing suit. The difference between a man doing it vs a woman or a child is that a man is usually going to be a much greater physical threat than a woman or child and thus it stands to reason you can use a greater level of force against a man than you can against a woman or child.

Quote Quoting cdwjava
    View Post
    So, I recommend you avoid places where men or women are trying to grope or fondle you against your will.
    So are you saying not to go to college?

Quote Quoting Justified Force
    View Post
    An attempted assault does not require a physical response. Removing yourself from the situation, or at best slapping the hand away, and calling the police is a more acceptable response.

View Post
    you can use a greater level of force against a man than you can against a woman or child.
    Just because you can do something does not mean you have to. Again, if it is simply an attempt: you slap the hand away, remove yourself from the situation and call the police. If they actually get a hold of your junk, then I could see decking them.

View Post
    Do you have a problem at your college with men and women trying to grab your junk? If so, it might be time to try a different school.

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    psst...ee...it's because he wants "self-defense" to be magic words that will allow him to throw punches and walk away with no legal issues. There just HAS to be a situation where he gets to punch people and not have to suffer any repercussions and he thinks maybe a sex angle will allow him to do it.
    No, I would not want it to come to that. The best case scenario is where nobody would give me any reason to throw punches and so therefore I wouldn't have to throw punches at anybody. Another words, I would prefer to not be attacked in the first place. But in this world where stuff like that can happen I want to be prepared.

Quote Quoting free9man
    View Post
    Just because you can do something does not mean you have to. Again, if it is simply an attempt: you slap the hand away, remove yourself from the situation and call the police. If they actually get a hold of your junk, then I could see decking them.
    Alright, you've got a good point. If they try to grope you than slapping their hand away could suffice but if they actually do manage to touch you somewhere that they shouldn't as you point out that could be grounds for throwing a punch. And you shouldn't get in trouble for that as its self defense.

Quote Quoting free9man
    View Post
    Do you have a problem at your college with men and women trying to grab your junk? If so, it might be time to try a different school.
    College is where people can really go wild. Its often when people experience for the first time living in a home away from home and people do all sorts of crazy stuff.

I think your fears of same-sex sexual assault (or any kind of sexual assault, frankly) border on paranoia, in that case.

I suggest you avoid college campuses if this is the sort of thing that happens to you, or is something you truly fear. I have worked (and currently work) on a college campus and the reports of such incidents are, in a word, "minuscule."

Oh, and I have three of four children (sons) who have attended college (different ones, in fact) and none of them have had this problem.

If it happens in bars you frequent, stop going to them.

Oh, and let us know where this place is so that we might all avoid this horrendous place filled with sexual batterers!

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,

View Post
    Alright, you've got a good point. If they try to grope you than slapping their hand away could suffice but if they actually do manage to touch you somewhere that they shouldn't as you point out that could be grounds for throwing a punch. And you shouldn't get in trouble for that as its self defense.
    No, that's not what I said. I said if they grab hold. If they touch, you slap at most. If they touch and release, you slap at most. If they try to touch, you slap at most. If they grab hold and keep hold, then I would say a punch might be in order.

View Post

No, I've met gay people and they were quite decent. Why do you ask?

You do understand that a grope means to intentionally try to touch somebody in a private area, a part of the body that would be covered by a bathing suit. The difference between a man doing it vs a woman or a child is that a man is usually going to be a much greater physical threat than a woman or child and thus it stands to reason you can use a greater level of force against a man than you can against a woman or child.

Really? Please tell me more about the definition of sexual assault and harassment. I was only a Sexual Assault Response Coordinator in the Army for 2 1/2 years before my current assignment. Smh.

The few times I have had guys touch me without my consent was early on in my Army career before SHARP was a focus and when people didn't look kindly on those who reported harassment and assault. One incident was after a ball in a leadership school - I was one of two females in the platoon. Guys behind me in the formation were all drunk (we had to wait to get released to the barracks) talking about my ass and so on. One guy touched it - I walked to the other end of the squad I was in. The other incident was someone who I thought was a friend but he was just a pervert and I was helping him with some paperwork, night shift in Iraq. He was behind me and he kept bumping his groin against me and laughing. I kept saying stop. He didn't. I said if you don't stop I will yell and the guys next door will come over. He stopped. I told one of my male friends who went all big brother but that was it.

Groping isn't just in a private area. Sorry. Again how many kids are you around who sexually assault you? I think you should tell their parents they are groping you. And if a woman is doing it report her. No you can't use different levels of force against children or women and men. Either type of force you use you could be arrested. Again if children are sexually assaulting you that's a very odd thing.

No not go to college but if someone is groping you against your will report them or avoid the place they are at if you aren't comfortable reporting them.

View Post
    No, I would not want it to come to that. The best case scenario is where nobody would give me any reason to throw punches and so therefore I wouldn't have to throw punches at anybody. Another words, I would prefer to not be attacked in the first place. But in this world where stuff like that can happen I want to be prepared.

College is where people can really go wild. Its often when people experience for the first time living in a home away from home and people do all sorts of crazy stuff.
    Not everyone "goes wild" in college. What college do you go to? Holy crap. I didn't do any "crazy" stuff in college. Not everyone loses their damn mind at college.

You just don't seem to get the concept of self defense and I don't think you will.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast