Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Arrow Ashamed Of My Actions And Needing Answers

Yesterday I was caught shoplifting ... YES I know VERY, VERY stupid mistake on my part.

I was caught with around $75.00 worth of merchandise from a Kohls in Indiana. I was stopped right outside of the store doors. Security asked me to re-enter the store and I was taken to a room marked "employees only." At that time he asked me to place all of the goods on the floor. I was very cooperative and did as he asked. He then filled out some paper work. One stating that I may never enter another Kohls store again and I signed it. He then had an employee total up the amount of the merchandise. He asked me to sign this stating that I had given all of the merchanise back. He took a picture of the items, a picture of my DL and then a picture of me holding a board stating my name, case #, and date.

He then informed me that I would be recieving a letter in the mail in approx. 2-3 weeks. He said that it would contain a court date. He then released me and said that since I did not resist that I was free to go.

I then came home looking for some answers and beating myself up for my choices. I found this site and did some reading. From what I have gathered, I should only be looking at a fine from the store since the police were not called and I was not fingerprinted.

I don't know what to do. I am getting ready to enter into the nursing program and I know that if this incident goes further it could destroy my chances of ever having my dream job. This is my first offense. I have never been in trouble with the law before, not even a speeding ticket. I am a college student and I care about my studies.

If anyone can give me some advice or let me know what I am to expect it would be greatly appreciated. I haven't been able to eat or sleep because I am so mad at myself for my choices.

Default Re: ashamed of my actions and needing answers

criminal charges can still be filed. If they told you there would be a court date, that would infer they are still planning on pressing sciminal charges.

Now, the store does not benefit from a criminal prosecution and often accept civil forfeiture as an adequate punishment, especially since a criminal prosecution will actually cost them money. Somebody would have to be in court to testify that the crime took place and that costs the store unrecoverable money.

About the only thing you can do is wait for the letter to see if it is from Kohl's or the courts. Nothing you can really do to change the course of things now.

jk ... Thank you for the reply. I guess I am hopeing that I get a letter from Kohls saying that I have to pay a fine. I would be grateful for that. I just don't know where to go from here.

Exclamation Re: ashamed of my actions and needing answers

lol,id love to be facing that charge..try steppin into my shoes ,im waiting for a court date for a felony embezzlement charge.hope this make you feel a little better.good luck with everything and remember the court system is a bitc* and is very slow.
    good luck and get a lawyor and if u cant offord one get a court appointed one.he or she will help you out

Michigan_Man -- I've never been involved with the court system before so I'm not sure how slow they are. I am so scared and confused ....

panther10758 Guest

The court system can be very slow

Even though there was no police involvement at the time, there still may a court appearance. In some jurisdictions the victim (retailer) goes to the warrant office and applies for warrants. That being said, you may not be out of the 'woods' quite yet.

Unhappy Re: ashamed of my actions and needing answers

So if they do take me to court what am I looking at? I have NEVER been in trouble before. I made a mistake (and I'm not asking for pity from anyone ... I did it and this is my responsibility). I work a lot and I am putting myself through school. I don't have extra money ... and I know my parents wouldn't help me out. I guess I'm just wondering what may possibly happen. Thanks.

Get a public defender and plead it down as far as you possibly can.....

Default Re: Ashamed of my actions and needing answers

Souperdave -- thank you for the post. I am so confused, scared, worried ... I think I am feeling every bad emotion right now!

One more thing ... the security person said that he would be prosecuting me to the fullest extent. He said it would probably be 1 year probation some restitution, and court fees. Even though I wasn't fingerprinted or arrested can he still prosecute me?

If he can ... is there any chance I can get a differed sentence or something where it wouldn't be a criminal charge?? I really cannot have this on my record!!!

Like I've said I've never been in trouble and I don't know how anything works. Anything that you have to offer it is greatly appreciated!!

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast