Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Shoplifting from a Department Store in New Jersey

Two days ago, my best friend and I were caught shoplifting from a Macy's Department Store. I had hid two shirts in my purse totaling up to around $50. My friend, however, had stolen a total of $100+ worth of clothes and even wore a pair of the stoeln jeans under the jeans she wore to the mall. We, of course, were caught by security and taken to an office in the store to fill out paperwork. The police then came in and arrested us. We are no longer allowed in a Macy's store without a parent/guardian. Our parents had to pick us up from the police station. Our court date has not been set and I have no further knowledge to the situation.

What all goes down in the courtroom?
    How much trouble can I get in?
    Will I have to complete any special programs or community service?

Please, if you have any information that could be of help to me, contact me.

panther10758 Guest

Default Re: Shoplifting from a Department Store in New Jersey

It appears as though your minors although you do not state that. You are facing criminal charges your parents should find you a criminal defense Attorney before your court date. You failed to mention Civil Demand that will be on your parents (your a minor) to pay. This is a demand for money from $50.00 to $1000.00 (depending on state). This demand is outside of court

I did fail to mention that we are both 17 years old, and we will both turn 18 the start of November. When the security officers took us to their office, there was a sign hanging that stated the Civil Demand fee was $150. I asked the man if we could just paythat now and he stated that we wouldn't have to worry about that.

panther10758 Guest

I doubt thats correct it a near gurantee that they will seek Civil Demand. Perhaps they meant "you" would not have to worry about your parents will!

Whatever the costs may be, I told my parents I will come up with the cash to pay them, granted it may take a while. But where do my "parents" pay this at?

panther10758 Guest

Because your a minor bill goes to them and if not paid the consequences are on them as well.

Quote Quoting Bsoul
    View Post
    Whatever the costs may be, I told my parents I will come up with the cash to pay them, granted it may take a while. But where do my "parents" pay this at?
    You will receive a letter in the mail much like a credit card collection letter, stating the name of the firm, their contact information and what they are seeking. Many times, they will start off by saying that they are acting on behalf of the department store to collect on an incident which occurred on the date...etc. It will most likely come with a tear off coupon (with your name, acct number etc) that you mail with your check or money order. You can also pay over the phone with a major credit card, but they will probably charge you a service fee as credit companies take a percentage of each transaction, so they will try to recoup their losses. I know the company we use, charges $14.95 to pay by credit card over the phone.

I believe Macy's uses Civil Demand Associates, (www[dot]civildemand.net) but am not positive. They should have given you a civil demand take away form with information regarding who to contact if you have questions.

No matter what comes out of this learn from your mistake, you will be fine - BUT if you steal again as an adult, the consequences will be far greater than they are now. Is it really worth it for that $50 worth of merchandise? You will be fine, live and learn and shoplift no more.

Thank you. Believe me, I definately learned a lesson. I even had the money in my purse to pay for the items. It's just unfortunate that I had to learn my lesson this way.

panther10758 Guest

Having the money to pay for on you was good. They could have nailed you with intent otherwise and that could havce resulted in a burgarly charge

Quote Quoting Bsoul
    View Post
    Thank you. Believe me, I definately learned a lesson. I even had the money in my purse to pay for the items. It's just unfortunate that I had to learn my lesson this way.
    It is unfortunate, but you seem like a smart kid. Just don't get suckered into doing things which will cause detriment to you. It may be fun and you may get free stuff, but is it really worth the hassle?

Now that you are moving on, try not to beat yourself up to much about the incident. Life will go on and you will be fine. Live and learn.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast