Question Selling an Older Mobile Home As Rent to Own with Lien Placed on Title

My question involves real estate located in the State of: West Virginia

I'm selling an older model mobile home to a buyer paying a down-payment and then monthly payments until paid off in full. Per the trailer park rules & regs. the title has to be in the new buyers name to stay on the lot, so I need to place a lien on it.

What is the best way to legally go about this process to protect us from non-payment? Can I include a clause in a document signed by both parties that states if buyer fails to make on-time payments, they forfeit any funds already paid and are subject to eviction?

I cannot find any information online about how this process works to create the lien safely and/or how one goes about reclaiming the trailer if the buyer does not pay. Any help is appreciated!

Default Re: Selling an Older Mobile Home As Rent to Own with Lien Placed on Title

Sorry, but advising you on the terms and conditions of a purchase contract with the home as security is beyond the scope of this website.

You are basically putting yourself in the position of a bank similar to lending somebody money to buy a car and naming yourself as lienholder on the buyer's title.

You can run a google search and you'll come up with sample of that type of contract that you can modify or, better yet, hire a lawyer for a few hundred bucks to draft on for you.

Even better, understand that if your buyer can't get a loan from a bank, he is a pisspoor credit risk and you are not smarter than the bank that won't lend him the money. When he defaults you'll be back here asking "What are my rights?"

1. Sponsored Links