Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Will Future Employers Learn That You Stole from a Former Employer

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Michigan

Ok so yesterday I was let go from my job. They said I stole roughly $2,600...they had me give a written statement about what I did and sign forms stating that I will pay restitution. They told me that since I "cooperated" that they won't prosecute me/call the cops, etc. now my question is this, will I be able to get another job in retail or anything dealing with money since they didn't have me arrested? Thanks for the help

Default Re: Employer Fired Me, Didn't Prosecute for Theft/Didn't Involve the Law at All

Quote Quoting MsAJ88
    View Post
    will I be able to get another job in retail or anything dealing with money since they didn't have me arrested?
    I don't think there is any way of answering that question.

There are so many variables.

Application questions.
    Background checks.
    Employer references.
    Others that I can't even think of at this point.

Default Re: Employer Fired Me, Didn't Prosecute for Theft/Didn't Involve the Law at All

The fact that you were fired for an admitted theft is going to be enough to prevent many if not most employers from hiring you for positions that involve cash or credit. The fact that your employer was nice enough not to involve the authorities is not going to wipe your theft off the map.

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    The fact that you were fired for an admitted theft is going to be enough to prevent many if not most employers from hiring you for positions that involve cash or credit. The fact that your employer was nice enough not to involve the authorities is not going to wipe your theft off the map.

Ok I don't know how any of this works, so since I signed the paperwork that means that this is permanently attached to my name?

Yes.

Nor would it have made any difference if you hadn't signed anything. The only way to avoid having a firing for theft attached to you permanently is not to steal from your employer.

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    Nor would it have made any difference if you hadn't signed anything. The only way to avoid having a firing for theft attached to you permanently is not to steal from your employer.
    While I agree, I think he was more concerned about a criminal record.

Could be.

But it's a rare employer that doesn't do background checks, and despite what too many people would have one believe, it IS legal to say that an employee was fired for stealing, when he WAS fired for stealing. While he won't have a criminal record, his job options for the next few years are going to involve asking people if they want fries with that - and they won't be allowing him to run the cash register, either.

I've seen a few of your replies around here...why are you so condescending? Judgemental? We're just people who can't afford lawyers and are looking for insight to possibly put our lives back on track...if we wanted to be judged we'd go to our families and friends

Evidently the meaning of the word "judgement" has been changed to mean, "giving me an answer I don't like".

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast