Default H-1B VISA and also working as Independent Contractor

I work in the computer industry and have an H-1B VISA sponsored by my current Employer. I also have been asked on a number of occasions to help out on the side with some contract/consulting work and am wondering if this is allowed or permissable given my H-1B status?

Normally this situation would entail working as an Independent Contractor and filing a Schedule C. My questions are:
    1. Is it possible to work as an Independent Contractor while on an H-1B VISA or would I be violating my H-1B status if I engaged in this side work?
    2. What is the likelihood that someone would get caught (i.e. would it be only if my taxes are audited)?

Can someone please advise?

Default Re: H-1B VISA and also working as Independent Contractor

1. Is it possible to work as an Independent Contractor while on an H-1B VISA or would I be violating my H-1B status if I engaged in this side work?

Who can an H-1B employee work for?
    A: An H-1B employee may only work for the petitioning U.S. employer and only in the H-1B activities described in the petition. The petitioning U.S. employer may place the H-1B worker on the worksite of another employer if all applicable rules (such as Department of Labor rules) are followed. H-1B aliens may work for more than one U.S. employer, but must have an I-129 petition filed by each employer.
    [source: http://h1b-faq.peludcarson.com/]

2. What is the likelihood that someone would get caught (i.e. would it be only if my taxes are audited)?

No idea.

Default Re: H-1B VISA and also working as Independent Contractor

Is it possible to get an H1-B with a contractor position at a university?

I am currently on F1 OPT and I might be offered a contractor position at a university (=non-profit org). Will they be able to sponsor me an H1-B?

thanks,
    Alex

1. Sponsored Links