Default Charged With Driving While Barred While Outside of the Vehicle

A man was in a bar where he was arrested for public intoxication. The arresting officers asked how he got to the bar and he told them that he drove. As a result he was also charged with driving while barred. Can he use his level of intoxication as a basis to try to keep the admission of driving while barred from being used against him in court, under Iowa law?

Default Re: Charged With Driving While Barred While in a Bar

His intoxication is not going to keep the police from using his admission to driving, but he can speak with his lawyer about whether that out-of-court admission of itself is sufficient to support a conviction of the driving while barred charge. Although the corroboration needed to support a conviction is normally slight, an unsworn confession to a criminal act must be supported by at least some corroborating evidence in order to support a criminal conviction.

1. Sponsored Links