Default How to Get Compensation for a Collision that Occurred During Repossession

My 2007.5 GMC Sierra 1500 got repossessed because I was 2 weeks behind. In the middle of the repossession the guy totaled it and passed away in it. I owed 6 grand on it. They had me look at it I took videos and everything. Called the highway patrol and they didn't have any insurance on it. They sent me a check in the mail for 20$ which I did not cash. Then they put paid off repossession on my credit. So my credit shot way down. Almost 200 points. What should I do?

Default Re: Fatal Accident During Repossession

Your credit was trashed when you stopped making payments. $6000 sounds pretty close to the ACV for a ten year old Sierra 1500. What makes you think there is anything to do?

Quote Quoting flyingron
    View Post
    Your credit was trashed when you stopped making payments. $6000 sounds pretty close to the ACV for a ten year old Sierra 1500. What makes you think there is anything to do?
    they weren't reporting to my credit the whole time. I had a tool box and personal belongings in the vehicle that were damaged. KBB says the truck is worth 8500. And they're supposed to give you time to come get it. If it's totaled, how am I supposed to recover it? Lol

I am not sure what the first sentence is supposed to mean. They're free not to report things. All that matters is what they do report is accurate. Your repo did happen.
    KBB is not exactly a good way of getting ACV (especially if you use the "buyer's" valuations). Well, yes they're supposed to let you get your things, but if they're destroyed in the wreck, they can't do that. You can certainly try making a claim for your possessions and protest the valuation, but you're going to have to show that your truck was in better than average condition based on my running of the numbers to get anywhere near $8000.

Who is "they" in your post? Your own collision insurance? The lender? The repo service? Somebody else? You would have been required to carry collision coverage for your vehicle under the terms of your loan, so if "they" represents somebody other than your own insurance company you can see if your own insurance will provide any additional compensation.

1. Sponsored Links