Default Do You Have to Disclose an Expunged Juvenile Proceeding When You Apply to Naturalize

To make it short and sweet i was 17 when i got caught smoking weed in public. I was taken in the station, fingerprinted and had to wait for my mom to pick me up. I had teen court a month later and i was to do 16hrs of community service and a drug and alcohol abuse class. After completion my record was to be expunged which it was.

Need some help answering the questions below:

23. Have you EVER been arrested,cited, or detained by any law enforcement officer for any reason?

I selected yes.

24. Have you ever been charged with committing, attempting to commit, or assisting in committing a crime or offense?

I am confused on what to put here since i really don't know if i was ever charged or not.

25. Have you ever been convicted of a crime or offense?

Not sure what to put for this because of my incident. But i would guess and say "no"? Since i did what they required me to do and my record was cleared?

Also, what would i put as the outcome of my disposition?
    No charges filed / charges dismissed?

I don't have any of the documents from that time so i am not exactly sure which one it is. I tired to get a police report but they don't have it. I went to district court and had my record checked and it came out clean.

Its been about 8 years now since that incident. I am also a permanent resident.

Default Re: Arrested when 17. Need Some Advice on How to Answer These Questions

What state are you in?

What sort of questionnaire is this?

Quote Quoting cdwjava
    View Post
    What state are you in?

What sort of questionnaire is this?
    I am from MD. These questions are right from the n-400 form.

Quote Quoting polak23
    View Post
    I am from MD. These questions are right from the n-400 form.
    Oh, you are applying for citizenship.

Understand that the federal government has access to just about everything and is likely to be able to find your case even if you can't.

My advice:

Have you EVER been arrested,cited, or detained by any law enforcement officer for any reason?

Yes.

Have you ever been charged with committing, attempting to commit, or assisting in committing a crime or offense?

Yes. Of course you were charged. Otherwise you wouldn't have been sentenced to community service and classes.

Have you ever been convicted of a crime or offense?

Yes. Obviously. Otherwise you wouldn't have been sentenced to community service and classes.

Also, what would i put as the outcome of my disposition?
    Something like this:

i was to do 16hrs of community service and a drug and alcohol abuse class. After completion my record was to be expunged which it was.

There are two more related questions on the form I'm looking at:

Have you ever been placed in an alternative sentencing or a rehabilitative program, etc?

Yes.

Have you ever received a suspended sentence, been placed on probation, or been paroled.

Yes.

All of those yes answers relate to the same event and you are given space to explain it all in a way that puts you in the best possible light and allows you to attach a separate sheet of paper where you can add a narrative about how you made a mistake as a youth, learned from, became a better person, etc.

Ok thanks! But for the question : Have you ever received a suspended sentence, been placed on probation, or been paroled?

I don't think i was ever given a probation period. Definitely no parole or suspended sentence.

Community service and your drug classes are effectively a probation. Since the incident is going to come up anyhow, you might as well just include it anywhere you think it may apply.

1. Sponsored Links