Default Can You Sue Your Ex- For Half of the Property You Shared

After a five year relationship, a woman in Tennessee broke up with her boyfriend the hard way -- she returned home and found out that he had changed the locks. It's his home, and she's not trying to claim a share of his home, but can she sue him for half of the property that they accumulated together during their relationship?

Default Re: Can You Sue Your Ex- For Half of the Property You Shared

Tennessee does not recognize common law marriage, so there is no "marital estate" as such to divide -- when you break up, you don't automatically get half of the property that you acquired with your ex- during the relationship.

If the woman can prove that she contributed to the cost of certain items that are being kept by her ex-, or that he won't return items that she can prove that she paid for, then she can sue to recover compensation for her share of those items of property or for the value of her solely owned property. The more documentation she has of her purchases (receipts, and the like) the better, as if her ex- denies that she contributed to the cost there's no guarantee that the court would believe her over him (and if it's a 50/50 case, he wins because she would have the burden of proof).

1. Sponsored Links