Default Getting Custody Based on the Other Parent's Lack of Stability

Hello I am currently in a custody battle with my daughters mom my daughter is 7 years old me & her mom were never in a relationship we were kids at the time our daughter was born & my daughter mom also has 3 other kids by 3 different men but that's beside the point im not here to judge her on that but I have been active in my daughters life since day 1 provided for her emotionally & financially & she lived with me for about 8 months because she was arrested for domestic violence against her mom which was drop later on

everything was fine until 2014 when I started dating my high school sweetheart who is currently my wife for the past 2 years and the mother of my 1 year old son, my daughter mom & I don't communicate very well no matter how much I try she continue to bring up why me & her aren't together & never focuses on our daughters well being she recently was just living with a guy last year & they had a child now she has moved on & moved in with another guy I have no clue who he is but he lives with my daughter,I understand her personal relationships is not my business but I do believe if my child is sleeping under the same roof with someone I at least should be able to meet this person & introduce ourselves

my daughter has no stability in her life she is 7 years old she has lived in 8 different places with her mom shes in the 2nd grade & her mom just transferred her to her 4th different school I bought my daughter a Ipod Touch so I can communicate with her while she at her mom house because she wont answer my phone calls to talk to my daughter but now she has blocked my wife number so I can't talk to her& now im beginning to get frustrated I pay &500 a month in child support I pay for medical insurance & I started a college fund for my daughter this year but I just feel my daughters mom is holding her back & she has alot on her plate trying to raise 4 kids alone.

Me & my wife own our home where my daughter has her own room & bathroom with most of her belongings there & I just feel my daughter would be better of with me & my wife, I would never try to replace my daughters mom with my wife my daughter will always know that her mom is her mom & I would never attempt to come in between that but I care about her well being & want the best for her I just need some advice on what should I do

Default Re: Child Custody Advice

Quote Quoting Paul99
    View Post
    Hello I am currently in a custody battle with my daughters mom my daughter is 7 years old me & her mom were never in a relationship we were kids at the time our daughter was born & my daughter mom also has 3 other kids by 3 different men but that's beside the point im not here to judge her on that but I have been active in my daughters life since day 1 provided for her emotionally & financially & she lived with me for about 8 months because she was arrested for domestic violence against her mom which was drop later on, everything was fine until 2014 when I started dating my high school sweetheart who is currently my wife for the past 2 years and the mother of my 1 year old son, my daughter mom & I don't communicate very well no matter how much I try she continue to bring up why me & her aren't together & never focuses on our daughters well being she recently was just living with a guy last year & they had a child now she has moved on & moved in with another guy I have no clue who he is but he lives with my daughter,I understand her personal relationships is not my business but I do believe if my child is sleeping under the same roof with someone I at least should be able to meet this person & introduce ourselves my daughter has no stability in her life she is 7 years old she has lived in 8 different places with her mom shes in the 2nd grade & her mom just transferred her to her 4th different school I bought my daughter a Ipod Touch so I can communicate with her while she at her mom house because she wont answer my phone calls to talk to my daughter but now she has blocked my wife number so I can't talk to her& now im beginning to get frustrated I pay &500 a month in child support I pay for medical insurance & I started a college fund for my daughter this year but I just feel my daughters mom is holding her back & she has alot on her plate trying to raise 4 kids alone. Me & my wife own our home where my daughter has her own room & bathroom with most of her belongings there & I just feel my daughter would be better of with me & my wife, I would never try to replace my daughters mom with my wife my daughter will always know that her mom is her mom & I would never attempt to come in between that but I care about her well being & want the best for her I just need some advice on what should I do
    Sentences and paragraphs are your friend. This is incredibly difficult to read because that whole things has only one period in it. From what I can tell though, it does not appear you have enough to get a change of custody.

You should work with your custody lawyer, and follow your lawyer's advice. It will not be easy to get custody changed after seven years, even if the mother moves every year.

I understand there's more to the case then I have explained my daughter has also been chronically truant the last 2 school years the school board has threatened to fine her but sh changed her school district & my daughter's clothes has a marijuana scent everytime I get her she has kept my daughter away from me on numerous occasions because we may disagree on something or if I don't help her with her other children which I won't she will use my daughter as a retaliation to get back at me I still have text messages from her telling me congratulations on your house hope you can afford it once this child support kicks in just little childish things that I don't want my daughter thinking its okay to act this way.

I know this is going to be a tough journey & im not going to get discouraged by everyone telling me I have 0 chances of getting my daughter because I owe it to my daughter to give her a chance at lifeto be successful & not go through life believing everybody owes you anything or your entitled to anything you don't work for

Quote Quoting Paul99
    View Post
    I understand there's more to the case then I have explained my daughter has also been chronically truant the last 2 school years the school board has threatened to fine her but sh changed her school district & my daughter's clothes has a marijuana scent everytime I get her she has kept my daughter away from me on numerous occasions because we may disagree on something or if I don't help her with her other children which I won't she will use my daughter as a retaliation to get back at me I still have text messages from her telling me congratulations on your house hope you can afford it once this child support kicks in just little childish things that I don't want my daughter thinking its okay to act this way.

I know this is going to be a tough journey & im not going to get discouraged by everyone telling me I have 0 chances of getting my daughter because I owe it to my daughter to give her a chance at lifeto be successful & not go through life believing everybody owes you anything or your entitled to anything you don't work for
    About the only thing that you mentioned that would have any real teeth in it for the courts is the chronic truancy.

Quote Quoting Paul99
    View Post

The law doesn't care about the "what ifs", the law doesn't care about your house and wife, and the law doesn't care that you're under the impression that you can get custody changed just because you now think you're in a better position. You are not entitled to meet Mom's latest live-in, nor can she demand same.

Custody doesn't work that way. Once custody is decided, you need to show that there has been a significant change of circumstance AND that the change warrants a modification. It's not easy. Frankly, given what you've said here, I don't see it. You also need to remember that if you haven't acted upon things such as chronic truancy and marijuana, you also take a share of the blame.

I'm not saying it's impossible; I'm saying that I think you have an unrealistic expectation.

And really, use your own phone. There's no reason your wife's phone has to be the means of communication. It's just inviting trouble.

Default Re: Getting Custody Based on the Other Parent's Lack of Stability

Quote Quoting Paul99
    View Post
    Hello I am currently in a custody battle with my daughters mom my daughter is 7 years old me & her mom were never in a relationship we were kids at the time our daughter was born & my daughter mom also has 3 other kids by 3 different men but that's beside the point im not here to judge her on that but I have been active in my daughters life since day 1 provided for her emotionally & financially & she lived with me for about 8 months because she was arrested for domestic violence against her mom which was drop later on

everything was fine until 2014 when I started dating my high school sweetheart who is currently my wife for the past 2 years and the mother of my 1 year old son, my daughter mom & I don't communicate very well no matter how much I try she continue to bring up why me & her aren't together & never focuses on our daughters well being she recently was just living with a guy last year & they had a child now she has moved on & moved in with another guy I have no clue who he is but he lives with my daughter,I understand her personal relationships is not my business but I do believe if my child is sleeping under the same roof with someone I at least should be able to meet this person & introduce ourselves

my daughter has no stability in her life she is 7 years old she has lived in 8 different places with her mom shes in the 2nd grade & her mom just transferred her to her 4th different school I bought my daughter a Ipod Touch so I can communicate with her while she at her mom house because she wont answer my phone calls to talk to my daughter but now she has blocked my wife number so I can't talk to her& now im beginning to get frustrated I pay &500 a month in child support I pay for medical insurance & I started a college fund for my daughter this year but I just feel my daughters mom is holding her back & she has alot on her plate trying to raise 4 kids alone.

Me & my wife own our home where my daughter has her own room & bathroom with most of her belongings there & I just feel my daughter would be better of with me & my wife, I would never try to replace my daughters mom with my wife my daughter will always know that her mom is her mom & I would never attempt to come in between that but I care about her well being & want the best for her I just need some advice on what should I do
    So you guys just had a hook up and she got pregnant?

You do realize there are a lot of kids who have parents with jobs that cause them to not stay in one place for their entire lives right? Like kids of parents who are in the military. So are you saying that they are bad parents because their kids sometimes have to move a lot?

So what is the custody situation? Does she have sole custody? What's your visitation plan? Or is none of this in writing yet?

What do you want to do?

Are there ANY court orders for custody or visitation? And when your daughter's clothes have smelled like marijuana have you had your daughter tested?

1. Sponsored Links