Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Bedroom Sharing by Older Teens

Quote Quoting eerelations
    View Post
    Depends on the age of the child. I wouldn't want my 15-year-old daughter sharing a bedroom with her 17-year-old stepbrother, and I don't think the courts would like it that much either.
    There is no law anywhere in the US that says stepsiblings of different genders cannot share a room. The only time it would be an issue is foster care situations. That is completely up to the parents to decide. But it is not illegal to allow a 15 year old girl and 17 year old stepsiblings to room together. Nor siblings. Why would the courts care about the rooming situation of stepsiblings?

Default Re: Will the Size of a Parent's Home Affect a Custody Decisions

While you are correct that there is no law prohibiting it, think about it, qwas. Siblings, maybe. Opposite sex step siblings, who don't share any blood, right at the age when they're curious about and likely experimenting with sex, sharing a room? Yeah, I think the court might care about that a little bit. Same sex step siblings, fine, I don't have any quarrel with that. Opposite sex step siblings whose ages are still in single digits, no problem. Mid-teen opposite sex step siblings? No.

Quote Quoting Funnygrl20
    View Post
    My question involves a child custody case from the State of: pennsylvania

Just wondering how much weight these things hold in a custody case
    1 size of home
    2 child has own room
    3 debt you are in
    4 size of childs room
    5 money you make
    6 how many kids you and your partner share
    None of that really matters at all. What matters is that the child is fed, housed, clothed and loved. How many actual siblings of the child that are in the home sometimes matters if the sibling are accustomed to living in the same household.

Quote Quoting qwaspolk69
    View Post
    There is no law anywhere in the US that says stepsiblings of different genders cannot share a room. The only time it would be an issue is foster care situations. That is completely up to the parents to decide. But it is not illegal to allow a 15 year old girl and 17 year old stepsiblings to room together. Nor siblings. Why would the courts care about the rooming situation of stepsiblings?
    Please read my post. If you do, you will note that I didn't actually say there was a law against it. The reason I didn't say there was a law against it is because I know there isn't a law against it. So, while I appreciate your effort, you needn't have bothered. But thank you for doing so.

I still firmly believe that it's inappropriate (and just asking for trouble!) for a 15-year-old girl to share a bedroom with a biologically unrelated 17-year-old boy. And unless the courts are made up entirely by 17-year-old boys, I believe they will agree with me.

Parents who want to test this belief of mine may do so only at their biologically unrelated teenagers' peril.

Quote Quoting eerelations
    View Post
    Please read my post. If you do, you will note that I didn't actually say there was a law against it. The reason I didn't say there was a law against it is because I know there isn't a law against it. So, while I appreciate your effort, you needn't have bothered. But thank you for doing so.

I still firmly believe that it's inappropriate (and just asking for trouble!) for a 15-year-old girl to share a bedroom with a biologically unrelated 17-year-old boy. And unless the courts are made up entirely by 17-year-old boys, I believe they will agree with me.

Parents who want to test this belief of mine may do so only at their biologically unrelated teenagers' peril.
    I honestly believe that you are correct that a judge would agree with you. In fact, I think that CPS might even have something to say about that.

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    While you are correct that there is no law prohibiting it, think about it, qwas. Siblings, maybe. Opposite sex step siblings, who don't share any blood, right at the age when they're curious about and likely experimenting with sex, sharing a room? Yeah, I think the court might care about that a little bit. Same sex step siblings, fine, I don't have any quarrel with that. Opposite sex step siblings whose ages are still in single digits, no problem. Mid-teen opposite sex step siblings? No.
    I have yet to see or hear about anyone who got denied custody because they allowed stepsiblings of opposite gender to share a room together. One could just have easily have homosexual children/stepchlldren. Should they be kept away from each other just in case they get "curious?" What's to stop that from happening?

Courts will not decide custody based on living arrangements of opposite or even same gender children.

Quote Quoting llworking
    View Post
    I honestly believe that you are correct that a judge would agree with you. In fact, I think that CPS might even have something to say about that.
    Show me a case where CPS gets involved because opposite gender stepsiblings room together in their teens. So would they also have a problem with homosexual same gender stepsiblings rooming together as well? A lesbian daughter and step daughter who share a room...who knows what might happen?

You can't say that anything would happen sexually just because they are teenagers. My daughter's sister is almost 14 and her stepbrother almost 13 and I can tell you she has absolutely zero interest in her stepbrother. Just because they're opposite gender doesn't mean they are attracted to each other especially if they grew up around each other. Just like just because someone is a homosexual does not mean they are attracted to everyone of the same gender - heterosexuals aren't attracted to everyone of the opposite gender.

I don't believe a court would agree with you because there is no law against this and that CPS would not get involved unless there was an accusation of sexual assault or rape.

As long as no complaints are made parents can room their children wherever they want and with whom they want.

So it's okay with you if your 15 year old daughter shares a room with her 17 year old stepbrother? That is really what you're saying?

Look, we all agree that there aren't any laws dictating who can and can't share a room. But there does come a point where common sense needs to take over.

Can you show us a case where a court has confirmed that is was okay for mid-teen step siblings of opposite sexes to share a room?

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    So it's okay with you if your 15 year old daughter shares a room with her 17 year old stepbrother? That is really what you're saying?

Look, we all agree that there aren't any laws dictating who can and can't share a room. But there does come a point where common sense needs to take over.

Can you show us a case where a court has confirmed that is was okay for mid-teen step siblings of opposite sexes to share a room?
    If I had a 15 year old daughter and a 17 year old stepson and we didn't have enough room for separate bedrooms then yes they would share a room. Some people can't afford a big place. Sometimes things happen and people hit hard times and can't afford a big place. If there was enough room then they get separate rooms. If there wasn't the room then they share a room. The stepson probably only would only be there every other weekend anyway unless my hypothetical husband had custody.

If you go look at any other legal forum you will see this question asked dozens of times. I Googled it and came up with multiple questions on other forums and the answer every time is that when a parent tries to use this as a way to change custody or visitation they usually get told there is nothing wrong with it. I wouldn't have a problem with it especially if there wasn't room for separate rooms.

So you didn't answer my question about if someone has a homosexual child and homosexual stepchild rooming together. Are you going to put those two in a room together if they're the same gender? Because your "logic" would apply to them too about being "curious" and whatever else you think would happen. I don't know why people automatically think that opposite gender teens are just going to automatically have sex with each other if they're not attracted to each other. Even with stepsiblings and especially if they grew up together as siblings.

If there is concern from either of them or one of the parents notices then you find something else. This article sums it up pretty well: https://www.expertlaw.com/library/fa...-share-bedroom

In most households, the primary reason why siblings share bedrooms is economic. Their parents can only afford a house or apartment of a certain size, and there aren't enough bedrooms for every child to have a private room. Child custody cases are decided on the best interest of the children, not upon the wealth of the parents. The parents need to provide a safe and appropriate environment for the children, but not one defined by an ideal that is beyond their means.

If a parent objects to bedroom sharing, the court may take into consideration factors that suggest that a child is endangered by the arrangement. For example, if the child is sharing a bedroom with a sibling or step-sibling with a history of inappropriate sexual behavior with other children, or the children have been caught playing "doctor" with each other, a court could find the continued sharing of a bedroom to be an inappropriate arrangement.

Like I said the court isn't going to order that they don't share a room unless there is a history of inappropriate sexual behavior with other kids or what's mentioned above. If there is no such history you will generally not find a court order that opposite gender siblings or stepsiblings can't share a room with each other.

If I have a stepchild who is behaving inappropriately sexually then I am not going to want him or her at my house. If it's MY child acting inappropriately I will make sure she gets help asap. That's the common sense. Not assuming that every heterosexual person is attracted to or will try to have sex with the person of the opposite gender. It's odd that you wouldn't think the same about homosexual teens...they experiment too. But I wouldn't assume they'd be into each other either. That's not how people work. Are you attracted to every person of your sexual orientation? If you're heterosexual do you find any person of the opposite gender attractive and you can't control yourself around them? Or if homosexual same thing but with same gender? I doubt it. If you were a teenager who couldn't control yourself then that's an entirely different issue altogether.

I think it's pretty bad if you would just assume your child or stepchild can't control their sexual urges as a teenager. Might consider getting them help then in that hypothetical situation.

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post

I understand the resistance to this kind of arrangement in our modern society where most families are indeed able to provide separate rooms for their kids. But not all families can do that, and must do the best they can with what they have. It is not automatic that a court would say it is impermissible for teen siblings of the opposite sex to share a room. You may not like that, but understand that your parenting decisions and standards, as well as they may be for you, may not be what other families need or want to do. We are becoming ever more closer to a society in which the state dictates how families must operate, and that erodes a very fundamental Constitutional principle that generally the state cannot intrude into the privacy of families absent a showing of real harm occurring — not potential harm — but actual harm.

Default Re: Bedroom Sharing by Older Teens

Quote Quoting qwaspolk69
    View Post
    Have you never watched the Brady Bunch? It's not against the law but damn is it a bad idea.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast