Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: Bedroom Sharing by Older Teens

Quote Quoting qwaspolk69
    View Post
    The court doesn't care unless there is accusations or a history of sexual abuse or inappropriate behavior and that goes with biological siblings too. The only time that you have to keep opposite gender kids in different rooms is foster care. That's a fact.
    When the parents are separated/divorced and one parent has their child sleeping in the same room as a different sex step-child, the other parent may well find that highly objectionable and seek a court order to prohibit that. While it is not illegal (i.e. not a crime) for the parent to room the kids together, when the matter is brought to the court the the judge is faced with having to decide the controversy, and the standard used is the best interests of the child. In making that decision, the judge will look at everything and the rooming situation is certainly one the court may take into account when deciding the issue. So it is not quite correct to say that a court would never care about this unless there is some history of abuse/inappropriate behavior going on. In some cases the court may well determine the arrangement is not in the child’s best interest and enter an order to address it. The totality of the circumstances matter. My point in this thread is that the apparent implication by some that it is never appropriate to have different sex teens room together and that a court will always prohibit it is also not true. Again, the totality of the circumstances matters. Like it nor not, once the parents drag the matter into court, the judge is faced with having to decide between two conflicting views of what is appropriate for the child and the judge will have to care about all the circumstances that affect the child.

Quote Quoting Taxing Matters
    View Post
    When the parents are separated/divorced and one parent has their child sleeping in the same room as a different sex step-child, the other parent may well find that highly objectionable and seek a court order to prohibit that. While it is not illegal (i.e. not a crime) for the parent to room the kids together, when the matter is brought to the court the the judge is faced with having to decide the controversy, and the standard used is the best interests of the child. In making that decision, the judge will look at everything and the rooming situation is certainly one the court may take into account when deciding the issue. So it is not quite correct to say that a court would never care about this unless there is some history of abuse/inappropriate behavior going on. In some cases the court may well determine the arrangement is not in the child’s best interest and enter an order to address it. The totality of the circumstances matter. My point in this thread is that the apparent implication by some that it is never appropriate to have different sex teens room together and that a court will always prohibit it is also not true. Again, the totality of the circumstances matters. Like it nor not, once the parents drag the matter into court, the judge is faced with having to decide between two conflicting views of what is appropriate for the child and the judge will have to care about all the circumstances that affect the child.
    I did very much say that they can seek a court order and I believe I posted something that says unless it's in a court order (because of inappropriate activity in the past) or foster situation then it usually isn't mandated.

I didn't say never care. I said they wouldn't care unless there is accusations of sexual abuse or inappropriate behavior and that would apply to biological siblings as well.

I also said generally it gets dragged into court because one parent is being vindictive and really doesn't care about the welfare of the kid. They just want to make things difficult for the other parent.

Default Re: Will the Size of a Parent's Home Affect a Custody Decisions

Quote Quoting llworking
    View Post
    None of that really matters at all. What matters is that the child is fed, housed, clothed and loved. How many actual siblings of the child that are in the home sometimes matters if the sibling are accustomed to living in the same household.
    Thanks for that reply. We spent 5 hours on this stuff in my fiances custody case as an argument as to why he doesnt need more time. I was suprised a judge would allow that to go on when it doesnt matter

Quote Quoting qwaspolk69
    View Post

Where have you seen this?
    Like you really care? You've done nothing but argue and backpedal yourself in and out of this entire meaningless thread. Nevertheless, let me answer.

IN A COURT ROOM.

Okay? Good.

Quote Quoting Dogmatique
    View Post
    Like you really care? You've done nothing but argue and backpedal yourself in and out of this entire meaningless thread. Nevertheless, let me answer.

IN A COURT ROOM.

Okay? Good.
    I do actually care.

So apparently this got separated from the original post? I sure didn't create the thread. It was one question out of several.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3