Default Implementation of IEPs

Not sure if this is the right spot for this....
    I had a meeting to revamp my son's IEP. That was Jan 18th. I didn't get the remade one until Jan 25th. I reviewed it over the weekend & found missing pages. Jan 29th I requested a copy of the missing pages. Feb 5th I received the "missing pages" but they were exactly the same papers I had before STILL with missing pages. I was told there was nothing on those pages. I asked for modifications & on Feb 5 & 6 we went back & forth with changes & got everything down. I told him I would come in to sign & he said he would send it home with my son. That wed, thur, & friday he said he would send it home with my son & never did. I called on the Friday & he said he would bring it to my house. NOTHING. Monday I called & he said he would send with my son & didn't. I called & he came by immediately & tried to force me to sign. I didn't. I reviewed everything & he added a page stating why the IEP was being signed late. He placed all blame on me & took no blame for not sending it home with my son. Then said he did send it home with my son on the 9th but on the 12th I have proof via email from him that is a false statement. I went to the principal with all my proof & a detailed timeline of events showing that I have been waiting for this. No phone call back for 4 days so called back & finally got to talk to the principal. Now since that time I have had excuse after excuse from the IEP manager as to the reasons the IEP is not ready to be signed. It is Feb 28th & still NOTHING for me to sign after speaking to the principal on the 16th of Feb. I received an email last week stating that the person the manager was suppose to work with on this was unavailable because he was taking over the principals job while the principal was gone for a funeral for 3 days. He told me he would have a revised copy to me Monday. It is Wed & nothing. Today I got an email stating more excuses & that he won't be able to get the man's help for a couple days AGAIN! Can someone help me as to the laws as to how long they can keep putting this off? The manager made a comment about that he had to put that last page in there because the state looks at the reasons why it wasn't signed on time...the impression I got was that he was covering his errors. He has changed this back page twice but both times he placed blame on me & my son (which my son had NOTHING to do with any of this!) and I have proof that I am the one constantly asking if it is ready & he is the one with excuse after excuse.... I can provide these emails to anyone if you need them but I would rather not post them here... THANKS!
    Sorry if this is in the wrong spot....

God Bless,
    Kelli

Default Re: IEP question....

Quote Quoting annodomini
    View Post
    Not sure if this is the right spot for this....
    I had a meeting to revamp my son's IEP. That was Jan 18th. I didn't get the remade one until Jan 25th. I reviewed it over the weekend & found missing pages. Jan 29th I requested a copy of the missing pages. Feb 5th I received the "missing pages" but they were exactly the same papers I had before STILL with missing pages. I was told there was nothing on those pages. I asked for modifications & on Feb 5 & 6 we went back & forth with changes & got everything down. I told him I would come in to sign & he said he would send it home with my son. That wed, thur, & friday he said he would send it home with my son & never did. I called on the Friday & he said he would bring it to my house. NOTHING. Monday I called & he said he would send with my son & didn't. I called & he came by immediately & tried to force me to sign. I didn't. I reviewed everything & he added a page stating why the IEP was being signed late. He placed all blame on me & took no blame for not sending it home with my son. Then said he did send it home with my son on the 9th but on the 12th I have proof via email from him that is a false statement. I went to the principal with all my proof & a detailed timeline of events showing that I have been waiting for this. No phone call back for 4 days so called back & finally got to talk to the principal. Now since that time I have had excuse after excuse from the IEP manager as to the reasons the IEP is not ready to be signed. It is Feb 28th & still NOTHING for me to sign after speaking to the principal on the 16th of Feb. I received an email last week stating that the person the manager was suppose to work with on this was unavailable because he was taking over the principals job while the principal was gone for a funeral for 3 days. He told me he would have a revised copy to me Monday. It is Wed & nothing. Today I got an email stating more excuses & that he won't be able to get the man's help for a couple days AGAIN! Can someone help me as to the laws as to how long they can keep putting this off? The manager made a comment about that he had to put that last page in there because the state looks at the reasons why it wasn't signed on time...the impression I got was that he was covering his errors. He has changed this back page twice but both times he placed blame on me & my son (which my son had NOTHING to do with any of this!) and I have proof that I am the one constantly asking if it is ready & he is the one with excuse after excuse.... I can provide these emails to anyone if you need them but I would rather not post them here... THANKS!
    Sorry if this is in the wrong spot....

God Bless,
    Kelli

Kelli,

First, let me say that you are very smart by thoroughly reading over any adjustments in your son's IEP. Since you seem to be getting nowhere with the principal or IEP coordinator at the school, call to set up a meeting with the supervisor fo Special Ed. in your district. Take all of your paperwork and notes with you. It wouldn't be a bad idea to consult an attorney who specializes in special ed. issues before the meeting.

If you don't mind me asking, what are your son's issues prompting an IEP? Were you trying to increase his accommodations? Also, is your son having problems receiving any newly added accommodations?

NO I don't mind you asking.
    My son has ADHD & ODD. The ADHD at this time is his main problem. He has gotten good control over his ODD...still needs more counseling but he has improved greatly in that area. He has a hard time with comprehension & organization. He can't remember homework (to do it, take it home, or take back to school). I can tell he tries to remember & gets frustrated when he forgets or gets frustrated reading & not understanding.

My reason for requesting a meeting is because the IEP manager was NOT following the IEP at all. I am suppose to get notifications weekly & was going a month with no contact, my son was failing yet no notices were being given to me on missing work, I was told rudely that I was not to contact any of his teachers & I have an email of him telling the teachers NOT to contact me but to only contact him, etc. I would contact the IEP manager but he wouldn't return calls or give some short answer then not get back to me. I tried to settle this between me & the manager on my own but that didn't work so I went to the head IEP person. The principal told her that he was going to take over so I was not allowed to contact her anymore! I was put off again. Finally I put in writing (found out my rights - actually my sons rights) so I requested a meeting in writing to hash out why it wasn't being followed. So who ends up conducting the meeting? The manager that was not doing the job! I know most of my rights but am unsure of the time frame that they have to get that document to me so was wondering on that.... Also...after going to the principal with my concerns before the meeting in Dec. All of a sudden my son because a "problem child" & got kicked out of class for insubordination one day & disruption the next. This AFTER I complained! AND this manager has my son in a study hall & was failing him in there yet ALL the other teachers said he was a great student & had NO problems with him! There is SO much more & I would take up so much of your time just on reading but that gives you a general idea.

How old is your son and what grade are we talking about?

It's wonderful that he learning to control his ODD with the help of counselling. As he gets older, he will learn to adapt tools that will work for him with regard to comprehension and organization. I assume he was also tested for processing disorders.

The time line for implementing IEPs varies by state, in mine it's 60 days. Try googling your state's special ed website for that info.

After reading your post again, I strongly suggest you retain the services of an attorney and insist upon a meeting with the supervisor of special ed with all the paperwork, including the forms with the other teacher's comments. Approach them in a calm manner and try very hard not to let your frustration and emotion get the best of you.

Many states are cutting special ed services, especially to students who are high acheiving.

I totally understand your frustration, both as a parent and as a provider. Just remember that you are the best advocate for your child.

Best of luck to you!

How old is your son?
    My son sounds so similar and i too am fighting iep and the school i have even been through the complaint dept through the state. all they did was correct the errors . Now they are constantly telling me that they can't teach my son he is unteachable cause he won't cooperate with them he id difficult . and can't keep on one thing ,doesn't bring home work or says he has none. never remember s books or supplies or bag.
    what is odd? he can't read or comprehend what he does read. he is 12 and in spec.ed. as well as 2 regular classes . no one has salutions .....
    What i can tell you is don't sign anything if you don't agree.... because when you sign you are saying that they are right . Keep fighting them .. stand for the rights and file your complaints with your state.they will straighten up.

Default Re: Implementation of IEPs

lealea1005~My son is 14 & in 9th. He was tested many years ago. I am not sure if they did a processing test.
    I strongly suggest you retain the services of an attorney and insist upon a meeting with the supervisor of special ed with all the paperwork, including the forms with the other teacher's comments. Approach them in a calm manner and try very hard not to let your frustration and emotion get the best of you.
    I just contacted the IEP coordinator & the superintendent of the schools 2 days ago! They were shocked that the principal has not dealt with this situation when he demanded to take it over from the IEP coordinator back in Dec & that the IEP hasn't been signed yet!!!! They were both awesome & very apologetic. I forwarded all my emails dealing with the IEP to the coordinator & she was not happy. She took over the IEP & is going to have a finalized copy for me tomorrow (Thursday) & I will look it over & we will discuss everything Friday so that it will totally be done on Friday!!!! While I was talking to her last night she was asking about everything that has happened & I told her he wrote to teachers telling them not to contact me & to contact him first & that he told me rudely I am NOT to call or email teachers. I also shared that he mass emailed all parents of children in special ed & I wasn't happy that others knew my son was in Special ed. That is illegal here I guess. AND he forwarded an email to me that had my son & 2 other boys information on it! I have to give her copies of all that tomorrow.
    Thanks for all the information & support!!!!!

kdidactivity~My son is 14 & in 9th grade. I am in the process of filing with the state. I didn't realize just how much information I had against this man so it is taking me a LONG time to get everything written down, copied, outlined, etc. I don't sign anything I am not happy with. Since this man tried to make me sign twice & even tried to force my husband (he doesn't know as much as me on all this since he works all day I do the research). I grabbed my husband's hand & said loudly, "don't sign that! don't sign anything!" He also said he rewrote the IEP & came over, shoved the IEP in my hands in a sealed envelope & shoved a clipboard at me with the signature part on it & said "here sign this". I said NO WAY that I wanted to make sure everything was right. AND IT WASN'T... well, I wonder how many people this guy has gotten to sign things that aren't right!!!! If you read what I wrote to lealea1005, it talks about me contacting the superintendent of the schools & the IEP coordinator. they were very upset that this isn't done yet & I forwarded all emails since Jan. dealing with the IEP to the IEP coor. She is in shock about all the junk I have gone through. I won't waste space here on what I already said there. Just pray she is telling the truth & that it truly does get done by Friday!

1. Sponsored Links