Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Attempted Theft of a Rolex Watch

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Tennessee

Hello my name is Daniel and I have a shoplifting problem.

I am scheduled to be in court Tuesday for shoplifting. Total amount of the lift was $25,000. It was a Rolex Submariner solid gold. I nabbed the watch while the jeweler was getting another watch for me to look at. I was breaking for the store door. I went to open it and I smacked into the door injuring my rotator cuff. The store locked the door! They kept me from leaving the store. Entrapment. I was also detained while I wanted medical treatment. I also injured my index finger from smacking into the locked door. If I plead not guilty to the shoplifting will the judge throw it out? I never left the store with the Rolex. That Is not shoplifting. I was denied medical treatment. Do I have a case for it to be dismissed?

Default Re: Attempted Rolex Theft

You most definitely have a problem. You need a lawyer BIG TIME. You just above admitted to committing felony theft. It most definitely is shoplifting and it is not just going to be "thrown out." The fact that you didn't make it out the door with the item you were trying to steal doesn't mean you aren't guilty. The theft statute only has two points that need to be met: That you exercised control over the property (which you did by taking the watch) and intending to deprive the owner of it (which you indicate by your attempting to leave the store with it). The fact that you are too stupid to realize jewelry stores often take procautions against sociopaths such as you, is immaterial. And no, you're not going to get any "damages" due to you injuring yourself. Your rotator cuff isn't an emergent condition that requires them to provided treatment.

You're looking at 3-15 years in prison and a $10,000 fine plus various costs.

47.606 N 122.332 W in body, still at 90 S in my mind.

Quote Quoting flyingron
    View Post
    You most definitely have a problem. You need a lawyer BIG TIME. You just above admitted to committing felony theft. It most definitely is shoplifting and it is not just going to be "thrown out." The fact that you didn't make it out the door with the item you were trying to steal doesn't mean you aren't guilty. The theft statute only has two points that need to be met: That you exercised control over the property (which you did by taking the watch) and intending to deprive the owner of it (which you indicate by your attempting to leave the store with it). The fact that you are too stupid to realize jewelry stores often take procautions against sociopaths such as you, is immaterial. And no, you're not going to get any "damages" due to you injuring yourself. Your rotator cuff isn't an emergent condition that requires them to provided treatment.

You're looking at 3-15 years in prison and a $10,000 fine plus various costs.
    This made my morning!

You definitely do have a shoplifting problem. That problem is going to lead to a stretch in the pokey, most likely. Trying to lift a $25,000 watch!

As noted above, jewelry stores frequently take precautions to protect themselves against thieves like you. That's only sensible when you sell items that are small, highly portable and incredibly valuable. The locked, operator controlled door is the most common. No, it's not entrapment, in the legal sense, and they are most certainly allowed to detain you.

You got a booboo due to your trying to make a break for it? no, they aren't responsible for you being a blundering dunderhead.

You know, I often wonder how many people repeatedly register new user names just to troll outlandishly stupid questions/scenarios as a “new user.” I strongly suspect this is one. Further, although I am certain that it happens, I cannot fathom why anyone achieves any entertainment value from this activity.

OP, (if you are not, in fact, a troll) you need a good criminal defense attorney, now. Do not speak with anyone, other than said attorney, regarding this matter any further. Judging from the information in your post, you do not have the mental acuity to even begin to understand the issues you face. You need professional help – and, I’m not just talking about legal help.

Quote Quoting Datejust
    View Post

I am scheduled to be in court Tuesday for shoplifting. Total amount of the lift was $25,000. It was a Rolex Submariner solid gold. I nabbed the watch while the jeweler was getting another watch for me to look at. I was breaking for the store door. I went to open it and I smacked into the door injuring my rotator cuff. The store locked the door! They kept me from leaving the store. Entrapment. I was also detained while I wanted medical treatment. I also injured my index finger from smacking into the locked door. If I plead not guilty to the shoplifting will the judge throw it out? I never left the store with the Rolex. That Is not shoplifting. I was denied medical treatment. Do I have a case for it to be dismissed?
    No it will not get thrown it. You plead not guilty it goes to trial. You did shoplift. It won't get dismissed. Perhaps if you hadn't tried to steal a freaking Rolex you would never have ran into a locked store door and gotten hurt. "Entrapment?" LOL gtfo.

Default Re: Attempted Theft of a Rolex Watch

Quote Quoting Datejust
    View Post
    was breaking for the store door. I went to open it and I smacked into the door injuring my rotator cuff.
    Did they put the video up on Youtube? If so, do you have a link?

Quote Quoting qwaspolk69
    View Post
    No it will not get thrown it. You plead not guilty it goes to trial. You did shoplift. It won't get dismissed. Perhaps if you hadn't tried to steal a freaking Rolex you would never have ran into a locked store door and gotten hurt. "Entrapment?" LOL gtfo.
    I know, "entrapment" hilarious!!!

Quote Quoting Datejust
    View Post

the bridge under maintenance?

If this this is for real you have a chance of going to prison for quite awhile. Stealing a $25k watch is very serious...and yes, what did did was criminal

I sure hope you didn't damage the door when you ran into it because you'll be liable for those damages.

Quote Quoting Datejust
    View Post

I am scheduled to be in court Tuesday for shoplifting. Total amount of the lift was $25,000. It was a Rolex Submariner solid gold. I nabbed the watch while the jeweler was getting another watch for me to look at. I was breaking for the store door.
    You took possession of the watch with the intent of depriving the store of it (as indicated by your attempt to leave the store with it). That is the theft crime. Specifically, Tennessee Code (TC) section 39-14-146 states:

(a) For purposes of § 39-14-103, a person commits theft of property if the person, with the intent to deprive a merchant of the stated price of merchandise, knowingly commits any of the following acts:

(1) Conceals the merchandise;

(2) Removes, takes possession of, or causes the removal of merchandise;

(3) Alters, transfers or removes any price marking, or any other marking which aids in determining value affixed to the merchandise;

(4) Transfers the merchandise from one (1) container to another; or

(5) Causes the cash register or other sales recording device to reflect less than the merchant's stated price for the merchandise.

Quote Quoting Datejust
    View Post
    I went to open it and I smacked into the door injuring my rotator cuff. The store locked the door! They kept me from leaving the store. Entrapment.
    Tennessee state law allows retailers to detain suspected shoplifters and call the police for the suspect to be arrested. Specifically Tennessee Code § 40-7-116 states:

(a) A merchant, a merchant's employee, or agent or a peace officer who has probable cause to believe that a person has committed or is attempting to commit the offense of theft, as defined in § 39-14-103, may detain that person on or off the premises of the mercantile establishment if the detention is done for any or all of the following purposes:

(1) To question the person, investigate the surrounding circumstances, obtain a statement, or any combination thereof;

(2) To request or verify identification, or both;

(3) To inform a peace officer of the detention of that person, or surrender that person to the custody of a peace officer, or both;

(4) To inform a peace officer, the parent or parents, guardian or other private person interested in the welfare of a minor of the detention and to surrender the minor to the custody of that person; or

(5) To institute criminal proceedings against the person.

This is not even remotely “entrapment.” Entrapment refers to a situation in which a law enforcement officer sets up a circumstance to compel a suspect to commit a crime. Law enforcement did not set you up to commit this crime. So there wasn’t any entrapment here. Not even close.

Quote Quoting Datejust
    View Post
    I was also detained while I wanted medical treatment. I also injured my index finger from smacking into the locked door. I was denied medical treatment....Do I have a case for it to be dismissed?[
    Your injuries were not serious and were self-inflicted because you ran for the door and did not take care to ensure the door would open before you smacked into it. Presumably you got these minor injuries treated later. So there is nowhere to go raising this injury. It is certainly not a defense to the theft charge.

Quote Quoting Datejust
    View Post
    If I plead not guilty to the shoplifting will the judge throw it out? I never left the store with the Rolex. That Is not shoplifting.
    Simply pleading not guilty to the charges will not get the court to dismiss the charges. You’d have to file a separate motion for dismissal and state good grounds for the dismissal. Nothing you have said here is even a good defense to the charges, let alone grounds for outright dismissal of the charges. A lot of people seem to think as you do that you have to leave the store with the item to be guilty of theft. That is, unfortunately for you, not correct. As the statute I quoted on theft above makes clear, you do not have to leave the store with the item to be guilty of theft. Taking possession of it and attempting to leave the store is theft. You did that, so the crime was complete. You have a serious legal problem here. If you are convicted of this offense and the value of the watch is $25,000, that is a Class C felony offense. That means you face the possibility of significant time in prison over this. You need a good lawyer to minimize the impact of this. These charges aren’t just going to magically disappear. A lawyer can only do so much when the evidence is stacked against his/her client, so don’t expect miracles here. But with a lawyer you might at least avoid the worst of it. If you try representing yourself, given your lack of knowledge of the law and criminal procedure, that could be a disaster for you.

LOL. If it is out there, I’m sure A&E would love to have it for a new “Dumbest Criminals” special. I’d watch!

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast