Default Can Rent be Increased on a Rent-to-Own Property

If you are purchasing a property in Florida on a rent-to-own basis, can the seller/landlord raise your rent?

Default Re: Can Rent be Increased on a Rent-to-Own Property

The first place to look is your contract with the seller. It is not particularly unusual for somebody to talk about renting to own with their landlord, but then to enter into a standard lease with no actual rent-to-own provisions. For an actual rent-to-own agreement, the payment amounts and schedule should be reasonably clear -- but there could also be a date after which, if the purchase has not been completed, the agreement reverts to an ordinary tenancy. The lessor/buyer should have their contract reviewed by a real estate lawyer.

1. Sponsored Links

Similar Threads

1. Extending a Lease: Can a Landlord Increase Rent if a Renewal Option is Silent on Rent Increases
    By MrMister in forum Landlord-Tenant Law
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-16-2016, 06:31 PM
  2. Breaking a Lease: Am I Liable for Rent for the Remaining Lease Period if the Landlord Raises the Rent
    By AjoyS in forum Landlord-Tenant Law
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-21-2014, 04:35 PM
  3. Rent and Utilities: Excessive Rent Increases and New York City Rent Control Laws
    By Brookyln in forum Landlord-Tenant Law
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-26-2013, 09:46 AM
  4. Rent and Utilities: California - Increased Rent, Selling My Apt, Taking Away My Garage
    By tenant guy in forum Landlord-Tenant Law
    Last Post: 05-04-2012, 07:19 PM
  5. Rental Agreements: How to Back Out of a Deal to Rent An Apartment - Rent Paid, Lease Not Signed
    By ElizabethB7419 in forum Landlord-Tenant Law
    Last Post: 05-20-2011, 06:49 AM

Sponsored Links

Legal Help, Information and Resources