Default New York State Paternity Rights

What rights does a man have in NY STATE if he is named as the father?

I am in a very complex situation as the father is in Europe and is not a US citizen.

He is very controlling and has been quite nasty througout this pregnancy. I never thought I would be someone who would seek to deny my son a father but I am concerned that he will make our life hell.

Can he sue me from abroad? Woulld he have to come to NY state?

I have told two male friends about my situation [he wants a dna test and also has consulted a lawyer about ful custody and Im only five months pregnant] and both of them have told me to get away from him and have volunteered to put their names on the birth cert if it means I can raise my son in peace. What would be the implications of this? Could I be charged with fraud up the road?

Please advise.

Default Re: NY State Paternity rights?

Quote Quoting annsie
    View Post
    What rights does a man have in NY STATE if he is named as the father?

I am in a very complex situation as the father is in Europe and is not a US citizen.

He is very controlling and has been quite nasty througout this pregnancy. I never thought I would be someone who would seek to deny my son a father but I am concerned that he will make our life hell.

Can he sue me from abroad? Woulld he have to come to NY state?

I have told two male friends about my situation [he wants a dna test and also has consulted a lawyer about ful custody and Im only five months pregnant] and both of them have told me to get away from him and have volunteered to put their names on the birth cert if it means I can raise my son in peace. What would be the implications of this? Could I be charged with fraud up the road?

Please advise.
    Yes, Both you and the male friend that put his name on it would be committing fraud.
    When paternity is established the father has the right to request visitation/custody/child support. This would take place in place of birthof child. It is unlikely that a judge would take custody from you unless proven unfit.
    But get used to having this man in your life for the next 18+ years. It would benefit your child to learn to work together.

1. Sponsored Links